My Step-mother wants a well done, juicy steak

I would also be careful with salt on the pre-cooked steak. Also, you could cheat a bit and add a small pat of butter to the steak post grill.

I wonder if taking it to medium and foiling tight for a rest would allow it to cook through but conserve moisture.

I'm so lucky to be in a rare medium-rare family :p

Well, I probably will give her the filet. I am sure she has eaten a few steaks in her near 50 years so she probably does enjoy dried shoe leather... Definitely no pron on this cook...

I would also be careful with salt on the pre-cooked steak. Also, you could cheat a bit and add a small pat of butter to the steak post grill.

I wonder if taking it to medium and foiling tight for a rest would allow it to cook through but conserve moisture.

I'm so lucky to be in a rare medium-rare family :p

Me too! I probably won't ever have to do this again, but who knows, maybe it will be the best steak she ever had.

Well, I just put hers on. I think I will put the rest of them on in about 10 minutes. I am smoking at 220 today.

Sear it to medium rare then soak it in hot Au jus for a minute or two. Looks like well done tastes like medium rare. Old restaurant trick.

That's what I do for Prime Rib.
Did not know it would work for steaks.

Thanks,

TIM

Put a heavy cast iron skillet( with lard )on you grill get it really hot , pan fried it basting with garlic butter at least it was cook on a grill. You could when it done, grill it direct for a few seconds on both side. BTW has anyone ever brine a steak

One alternative would be to slice it and "cook" the slices in Au Jus to get rid of the color. Once the cut meat hits air, it starts losing color. Cook it to MR or M and then finish in the Au Jus.

I do that trick with PR to those that want it "done".

So, how'd it turn out?
I do well done for my in-laws - reverse sear works nicely for that. Not sure how well that will work on a filet though.

Back