My Shirley Fabrication Experience

bri134

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello Brethren,

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of driving down to Tuscaloosa to pick up the cooker that Tyler built for me. My purchase started last May, when I was in Pensacola picking up my wife from a school. I'd been looking at the pictures of their work on this forum, so in a way, you all are at least partially to blame for planting the seed. :becky:

My wife and I are both active duty Navy; I'm a Chief, and we do a lot of mass gatherings/meals for the Mess, the Command, and for volunteer events. We decide to swing through and see Paul and Tyler on our way back to DC. Stop in, say hi, he gives us the tour. We meet Sharon and Cody, they meet our cane corso. An hour goes by before we know what happened. After leaving our deposit and talking general parameters, the long wait started.

I exchanged 77 emails with Tyler and Paul between early June and right up till this past Wednesday, ranging from probe port placement, overall dimensions, warmer orientation, 4' trailer, no 6' trailer, no 5', ugh fine, 6'... you name it, I probably bothered Tyler about it. Through all my emails and texts (I'm not even going to count those), I never got the sense he was frustrated; Tyler always came off as though I were the only customer that he had - and we all know thats not true.

The day finally came that I got the call that it would be ready for pickup, so I drug a friend with me, and we hit the road at 0500 on Saturday, got to Tuscaloosa around 430 that afternoon. We went right to his house, which was almost a serious faux pa on a Saturday afternoon - Sharon reminded us we were taking her away from the 'Bama game. In fairness, we kind of dropped in on her unannounced, but she still took us out back and let us check out what I waited 6 months for. We left, went and checked into our hotel room, and headed to Dreamland for ribs and football (that could be an whole other post btw. Not used to that level of fanaticism - or fun and hospitality - for college ball around DC.)

Showed back up at the house the next morning just before 0600. Paul left for work at 0415 we found out - between the refinery and building cookers, I'm convinced Paul does not sleep. At all. Hitched her up, and off we went back up the Appalachian corridor. 12 hours later I had her situated in the driveway.

Took leave for Monday to season the pit and cook, and now that I'm done rambling, here are some pics.

fdZPup1.jpg

YBZlQpQ.jpg

4VRxfus.jpg

Sprayed two cans of Pam on the inside and cranked it up to about 450 for an hour or so, then let it settle where it wanted, which happened to be around 275-285 when throwing in a split every 45 minutes.

Not wanting to waste the fire, I made dinner. For the week.

3 racks of babies, a boneless leg of lamb, 8 chicken leg quarters, 6 turkey legs, and 4 beef short ribs (had to have something to snack on).

rbW5o7p.jpg

XiV1n1C.jpg

ScyVGHZ.jpg

zKgn4MP.jpg

zS1pZRR.jpg

This is my first offset, and it was probably about the easiest thing I've done. Obviously I'm sure there are nuances and tricks to learn, but for a pretty simple straightforward cook, this was the most user-friendly piece of BBQ equipment I've ever used.

Just want to say - as has been said countless times before on this forum - the Shirleys are the real deal. True craftsmen, professionals, genuine, and most importantly, friends.

Thanks for reading. Smoke on Brothers!

So, you're the guy that ordered that monster, congrats on the new cooker.

That food looks might fine too

These guys turn out such great work. Amazing cooker and great story. I wish you many more happy cooks on that beauty!

This is all great and everything, but I think the most important thing I've learned is that seasoning a new pit is a valid reason to take off work. :whoo:

very nice cook and cooker. All that meat and it still looked empty. Welcome to the Shirley family.:clap2:

It's pretty surprising how large the 30" models are. Mine's 70x30, and I couldve fit all that onto 1/3 of one shelf.

Doing a cook for the junior Sailors who live in the barracks and either can't or aren't going home for Thanksgiving next month - any concerns I had about whether or not I'd have capacity to do it were laid to rest when I saw the cooker in person. :thumb:

That should be the center fold in some magazine, Beautiful The food looked very good.I think your new name should

Welcome to the family! Sharon loves her Alabama football time! But, you will not meet a nicer lady anywhere.

Beautiful cooker, even for a sailor. :p

Back