THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OferL

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
I just got some new toys delivered today.
My new injector

New thermostat

I got them both on amazon. After delivery costs it was still a third of local price. I also ordered a thermapen from amazon UK. Still hasn't come.
I was on a work trip today and bought some wood. He said it's oak.

My be I bought too much... But the guy was practically giving it away. I had to pay him to stop loading my car...

Now I read some and watched some videos, those were full of contradicting information. I never used anything other than charcoal. So l still have some questions:
1. Do I light wood like charcoal in a chimney for grilling ?
2. How big a chunks should I use for grilling ? These are about a foot long. Do I need to break them up?
3. For smoking I saw small chunks used on lit charcoal. Is that the right way?
4. Grilling on wood. Should I wait for all the wood to burn? Smolder?
5. Any other tips?
Thanks!

Nice purchases, and also a nice view from your balcony.

As far as using the wood, check the instructions for your smoker and grill. I have a vertical cabinet smoker, but it recommends the use of charcoal and adding wood chunks (as you mentioned) for flavor.

First,,you can NEVER have to much wood :)

no bark on it so must be really dry already,,,in ways thats good,in other ways not so good.

Start with the suggestion of just adding small pieces for flavor and see how they burn,or smolder :)

i would cut them sticks into pieces as long as they are thick and start there,a little at a time.

First,,you can NEVER have to much wood :)

no bark on it so must be really dry already,,,in ways thats good,in other ways not so good.

Start with the suggestion of just adding small pieces for flavor and see how they burn,or smolder :)

i would cut them sticks into pieces as long as they are thick and start there,a little at a time.
Why would you say it's good and not so good ?

Is that the smoker in the picture the one your going to use the wood in? I would go charcoal with chunks if that is the pit your going to use. My .02

Is that the smoker in the picture the one your going to use the wood in? I would go charcoal with chunks if that is the pit your going to use. My .02

Yes that's my smoker. I've used charcoal so far with pellets in aluminum foil. I wanted to try wood for both smoking and grilling. So I'll probably use charcoal with chunks like you suggested.
Now for grilling I'm not sure how to use the wood.

Sounds like you are on the right track using charcoal with wood chunks for smoking. I use 5-6 chunks in the basket with the charcoal so that they light at different times as the charcoal burns giving you constant smoke from the wood. I use chunks that are 3-4 inches, you will have to adjust as per the size of your firebox etc.
As for grilling, I get my charcoal where I want it and just throw 1 chunk on the coals about 15 minutes before I am ready to grill. It get lit and adds a nice smoke flavor.

Back