THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K

KuyasKitchen

Just got a fun little piece in the mail today. As one can tell by my sig, my only real smoker is a GOSM. So, I couldn't really cold smoke. That's why I picked this up.

First off, the construction is good. This isn't some flimsy piece of garbage. It came with a tea candle, the generator itself, and some oak dust.

I knew right off that I wasn't going to be thrilled with smoking with oak. I'm not a fan of that flavor. But, I didn't have any other sawdust ready. So, I did a test smoke.

I put the vents on my GOSM to as closed as they'll go (which is about 1/2 open) and loaded it up. All you do is put the candle under one part of the generator and light it. Leave it there for about a minute. Then, take the candle away. The sawdust will keep burning on its own (presuming that it's nice and dry, I assume).

It worked great! I took out cheese samples at two hours. Cheese and sausage samples at three hours. And, lastly, cheese and sausage samples at four hours. I wanted to see the effects of the cold smoke over time.

I've picked up some coconut sawdust and am drying it in the sun. That'll be a future post. Plus, I plan to do BACON with this!

Tomorrow, we try the sausage and cheese. I suspect the flavor will be a little harsh.

20100215073.jpg

20100215074.jpg

20100215076.jpg

20100215078.jpg

20100215077.jpg

20100215079.jpg

I got one too about a week and a half ago. Tossed in some Mozzarella and used Peach dust. I bought Peach, Apple and Wild Cherry.

the real question: how did the sausage & cheeses come out?!

Back