my new toy! Assassin 17

Ouch! The Vault looks like a nice smoker and has a lot of capacity. I am in the middle of switching jobs so It'll be a few months before I am ready to pull the trigger. I have a hard time with a 6 month lead time though which I think is what he lists on his website.

mcyork28 - to los angeles,ca it was a whopping $583 :\ i originally considered contacting KAT smokers since he is located here in CA to see if he can make a gravity fed. i've heard good things about their smokers but he tried selling me on their Vault and never got back to me on the gravity fed.

:cry: its terrible! all i'm thinking about is firing it up but haven't been home long enough. i feel like it just taunts me now! this weekend ill fire it up, season with some bacon and fatties, and probably throw some chicken on there. once i get the temperature control down i'll move on to brisket and ribs on it.

olewarthog and smoking pine - so you guys are saying to put foil at the top of the chute after loading it with charcoal? and then just close the chute with the foil covering the gasket.

olewarthog and smoking pine - so you guys are saying to put foil at the top of the chute after loading it with charcoal? and then just close the chute with the foil covering the gasket.

Yes. It keeps the moisture trapped over the chute and away from your gasket. When the pit is cooled down, I open the coal chute door and blot off the water that forms there to keep rust away.

Don't flip out when, after a few cooks, you see the paint blistering around the coal chute opening - unavoidable. The paint around my gasket still looks fine, though.

PM me if you have any other questions. I'll be glad to answer them.

Back