My New Old Country SmokeHouse Vertical - aka: Lady KickA$$

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
In the other thread ( http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220797 ) Alejandro opffered me a prototype. I wasn't sure what it was but Me and Bludawg hauled butt down to Laredo to Find out.

Talking with Alejandro he explained that when they Fab up a New Design they like to use 3/16" plate because it holds up to rework that light gauge won't. Once he gets a design he likes he presents it to Academy. Academy then studies it - including analyzing average delivery cost per unit vs profit along with what they think will sell. They then present weight, size and cost requirements to Alejandro and he redesigns to meet their ctiteria. He gave me one of his original SmokeHouse protypes in 3/16" ! Ya for Me.! :clap2:
I took it to work today to use the forklift to turn it around in my truck plus weigh it. - 420 lbs!. Not the Biggest Smoker I have but it is the Heaviest!.! It is also smaller than the Academy models but the same design.

Mine is 20" x 20" sq and the Academy units are 24" sqaure or 24" W x 20" D. - I will double check that tomorrow. The Academy units are 14 gauge steel although they seem Heavier. I think they are a Good design and a Good deal at $699.

there is a plate with 3/4-1" gap all the way around between the firebox and cook chamber. Above that in bottom of cook chamber are baffles at 45*(maybe 30*) angle that over lap the plate but not touch it. The plate has a 1/2- 3/4" lip all the way around it and a drain built in that exits the back of the smoker and capped. The pan can be used as a water pan to help even temps from bottom to top in cook chamber but being shallow the water evaporates quickly and must be refilled during cook. I will experiment with this but will probally run a deeper water pan above the plate on bottom rack.

Right now Lady KickA$$ likes the Sticks but I will make her Bi as soon as I can weld up a charcoal basket. :heh:

Thanks for the post. I was curious about the photo #87 in the original thread. Is this a secondary check point in the US you guys had to travel through? I got the impression from the photo you had to travel to Mexico to retrieve it. Care to share what type of deal Bludawg received? Non disclosure I can understand.

Thanks for the post. I was curious about the photo #87 in the original thread. Is this a secondary check point in the US you guys had to travel through? I got the impression from the photo you had to travel to Mexico to retrieve it. Care to share what type of deal Bludawg received? Non disclosure I can understand.

Laredo Tx is right on the Border, the river runs on the south edge of town, so the Border Patrol checkpoint is just North of town on I35 , but there are Border Patrol Tahoes patrolling all over town 24/7. :shock:

Congrats! You deserve it. With all the cookers in your arsenal, I can't imagine you'll need anything else.

Congrats! You deserve it. With all the cookers in your arsenal, I can't imagine you'll need anything else.

I've sold many. I'm down to FrankenDera (patched up Bandera), BoomShuckaLucka, The Craigslist POS, my original Masterbuilt Electric and Lady KickAss plus a Kettle and Gasser. :becky:

Last edited:
That was a nice gesture Alejandro did for you kudos to him , and congrats to you :thumb:

So how is she holding temps ?

Very nice cooker! I bet you get it dialed in on the first cook.

Awesome! Can't wait to see the food on there! Is it designed to run on splits? Just curious. Looks like a sweet little machine.

Don't you thin you'd want to replace that wood shelf with an expanded metal grate? Seems to me the ashes will just smother the fire out after awhile since the holes are so few in between.

Sweet deal with the heavy metal! This one seems like a keeper.
Enjoy Smitty

Don't you thin you'd want to replace that wood shelf with an expanded metal grate? Seems to me the ashes will just smother the fire out after awhile since the holes are so few in between.

I will probably drill those slits out bigger -it's a pretty stout shelf/grate- I like it

What Horizontals wish they could be........ :mrgreen:

The ability to run on charcoal n chunks or firewood depending on my mood......

lol ok I thought that is what you meant , after reading yours and blues reviews I would like to have both but I want the brazos so damn bad also lol

Back