My new bundle of joy!

I have a Yoder Wichita which I struggled with the temps. Closest to the fire end would be 50 to 80 difference in temp to the chimney end. I ended up cutting up my wood chunks in smaller sizes and running the fire smaller and closer to the door. It was easier to maintain a steady temp this way by closing the door and opening the damper.

I tried the Aaron Franklin method of always having the door open but the fire would just get way too hot and not come down at all.

Once you start loading up food the temps even out a bit across the racks. I cooked Pork at the "cooler" end and Turkey at the hotter end and it worked out fine. It takes a while to get used to (and I am by no means an expert) but it sorts itself out.

I also just ordered a charcoal basket so I don't have to stay up all night maintaining a fire.

Thanks funstuie!
I also had it running with the door open to see and it climbed quickly over 350.
I'll cut my splits into chunks and see how it works out tomorrow.
Cookin a fatty and Dino bones on it so we will see how it goes!

Learning is fun.you will get it sooner than you think
Nice looking unit you got there

Nice rig! You're going to have a lot of fun with that, and (hopefully) we'll get to enjoy a lot of Pr0N!

Looking forward to seeing how your naked fatty and dino bones turn out. :pop2:

Ye-Haaaaw!!! Let the awesome cooks begin :thumb:
Them offsets put out some great Q.

That's a great looking piece, Congrats!

I'm looking at them pretty hard. I should never have read Franklin's new book. I dropped a pile on a great gravity feed unit last year, which I dearly love, don't get me wrong but I read that damn book... Now I want a stick burner too. Ha! Don't you just love addictions? :thumb:

Enjoy!!!

Looks awesome and congrats on the yoder. I am still eyeing one myself. Doesn't make logical sense for me to buy now, but this is a hobby of mine, I work really hard, and hobbies can be expensive (still working on convincing myself :) )

I also love the biscuit test. Very helpful way to show things. Thank you for that, too!

Back