THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

btcg

Babbling Farker
Rough month... first taxes(UGH, I've always got to pay), then we lost another family member. Been in MI for a few weeks. Just got back, and sorry, but those who I'm writing some code for are going to have to wait another day or 2. I'm kinda emotionally spent.

So, it was great to read the site yesterday night, in particuliar, Patio Daddy's knife sharpening thread. It awoke something I've been considering: adding a japanese quality knife to my kitchen. I can't remember who started this interest. maybe it was Gore or Degurre... can't remember exactly, but one of em did. Anyways, I read the links, and visited a few knife sites to learn more.

One of these sites mentioned a Canadian knifemaker: George Tishbourne. So, I Googled him, and visited his site. After looking around, I ordered 2 knives (a K4 & K6) and the Unique Knife block. It was around 9 PM. And 45 minutes later, the fun started.

The phone rang. My business line. Now, I'll answer the business line, even at 9:45 PM on a sunday. Most of my customers are merchants with small businesses, and if one of my shopping cart servers goes down, it could spell disaster: the lost sales could mean the difference between making and losing money for my merchants, so I'm there for them.

To my surprise, it was George Tishbourne. He was calling to answer a question I posed in my order: how did he recommend his knives I ordered be sharpened?

Now, understand: George's knives are made from 440c grade steel that are also treated with with a liquid nitrogen. George explained that the extra treatment changes the remaining carbon in the steel, making it even harder. George said that it'll take a diamond sharpening tool to sharpen his knives, which means I'll be having them professionally sharpened. No biggie, as steel of this grade will rarely need sharpening. In fact, I'll just box em up and send em to George for sharpening.

So, George began telling me about how he came to make knives like he does. George is a moose hunter, and one thing about bagging a moose, you've pretty much gotta cut it up where you bag it. This was no easy thing: he was dulling 4-5 knives to cut up a single moose after he shot it. To quote George "there's got to be a better way." That's when he looked into better grades of steel (as noted, he uses 440c on his knives) and that started him making world class knives. George was recently featured in the Toronto Sun, and told me the story of how he walked up to 2 major German knife makers at this trade show and introduced himself "Hi, I'm George, I'm your competition." They were so impressed with George that they visited his shop and he is now authorized to advertise with their name and to do work for them. Pretty cool!

Here's George's site:

http://www.tichbourneknives.com/index1.htm

Scroll to the bottom of this page below:

http://www.tichbourneknives.com/Newsletter.htm

You can see the guy using the whale knife George made for him.

George is our kinda guy, brothers. Let's patronize his business. Order from him, and like me, I'll bet you'll get a call. Glad I got mine. It picked me up when I needed a boost from my fellow man. Nice to know there are people like George & Carol (George's wife) in the world!

He produces some interesting blade shapes, I wonder about deep bellied kitchen knives like the ones he produces. A very nice website explaining his thinking and processes.

He produces some interesting blade shapes, I wonder about deep bellied kitchen knives like the ones he produces. A very nice website explaining his thinking and processes.

I'll post pictures and my use experience after they arrive. In addition, I ordered a H5 (and leather case) today: a H5 outdoor "Moose" knife made from the 440c steel. Can't wait to get em... one of a kind, for sure. Like getting a Picasso before he was discovered.

Last edited:
Back