THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M

mes0970

I have a NB Bandera with the following mods, smoke chamber baffle, silicon around the door ( still leaks smoke ). Ceramic bricks under the ash trey and upgraded grate in the firebox for fuel ( charcoal or wood). I am about to: install the drain, either try more silicon on the door or use the track and gasket, and buy Al's charcoal basket. Any other suggestions? I have one temp guage in the center of the door and was thinking of adding a couple more. If so, where should I put them? I am in my first competition in September and could use some expert opinions!!! THANKS!!!

If i were going to add thermos to the door i would just evenbly space them top to bottom. Bottom being the lowest shelf i would cook on, not the bottom of the chamber. But .. PROBE THERMOMETERS! why drill holes? Just get a load of probes and drop them down the chimney.

as far as the gasket goes, I still have my original gasket from 2 years ago when i developed the mod. I replace the gasket with 3/8 gasket at the beginning of each season. The track and gasket are a little more of a hassle than the silicon mod but it has held up for me.

sounds like you got it iunder control. I would just make up a heat shield to have for when you need it.

How much/how did you install the silicon gasket? I checked with the guy I sold my bandera to and found out that the silicon door gasket I installed two years ago is still holding up for him. If you can identify your leaks, you should be able to add more silicon in order to make a better seal.
Mike

Mike,

Mine leaks as you are facing the door; to the right, around the latch area. The silican has done fine everywhere else. My problem is; as you may know, when you close the latch the door shifts and I don't know if I can get enough silicon in there to make up for the door shift.

Matt

Matt,
I guess that I was lucky. When I did the silicon mod, I put enough around the door latch to make sure that as the door shifts enough silicon filled in the gap.
Mike

Back