My Impending Hardwood Lump "Factory" - questions!

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
OK, so I've resolved to start making my own lump. I'm gonna go broke at $13/bag for the Grove Lump that I love considering the Performer is running 3-5 days a week. I've read a few threads and on other sites on how to set up the process with a 30 gallon and 55 gallon drum, but I still have a couple questions. I'm also hoping that anyone who has/is done/doing this might chime in with any tips or ideas that aren't in the "usual places".

1) I'm wondering how important what type of wood I use is. I know when smoking, oak & hickory & apple etc. all have different flavors for smoking with or even stick-burning, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that once carbonized into coal there isn't much/any difference in flavor profile (threw that out there for El Ropo lol :biggrin1:). Also thought I remember reading about heat and burn times being similar between species once charred. There's a farm in the family with a lot of different kinds of standing hardwood timber I could get at and I also have a buddy who owns a logging outfit where I could get pulp-grade trees on the cheap so variety should be no problem. Thoughts please?

2) I'm also wondering how dried/seasoned it HAS to be before charring it. I know it's easier to split etc. after it has sat, but I can cut the logs short then use the inlaws splitter. I'm thinking about chunking the logs, splitting to very thin splits (2"-3" diameter), then stacking criss-cross to sweat out a fair amount of moisture for a week or two before cross-cutting the splits into lumps and kilning them into charcoal. I know that firewood going through a chimney needs to season for 6-12 months minimum due to creosote buildup and burn efficiency, but we're talking about MUCH bigger splits that way and being used differently. Thoughts please?

3) Any other experienced insight or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS BRETHREN!!

-Chris :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

I:m also curious about this as I'm going to pickup a truck load of mixed fruit wood, cherry, apricot and peach from a friends family orchard soon.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Last edited:
Way back in merry olde england the charcoal maker harvested the coppiced trees and stacked them up as was... I have a book at home about it but I am certain it was cut n burn type process. The steam from the burning timber helped stop flameouts. Will re-read it tonight and if I am wrong will post details. They just piled it up in sexy stachc, covered it over with dirt and dropped a lit bit down te center hole and watched it burn for 3 days.

You can use fresh cut wood to make charcoal with out a problem. As far as wood types to use, use what ever you like to use for smoke chunks. The biggest thing is to no opent he retort barrell until it has cooled overnight.

I use that same barrel setup for my lump. I would use only dry wood and of the same species. Reason being different woods will burn at different rates and green wood does not produce even burn rates either. The whole idea of making your own lump is to get consistent control in your cooker. Kind of like buying a bag of KB and a bag of xyz charcoal and expecting the same results.

You can use fresh cut wood to make charcoal with out a problem. As far as wood types to use, use what ever you like to use for smoke chunks. The biggest thing is to no opent he retort barrell until it has cooled overnight.

I use that same barrel setup for my lump. I would use only dry wood and of the same species. Reason being different woods will burn at different rates and green wood does not produce even burn rates either. The whole idea of making your own lump is to get consistent control in your cooker. Kind of like buying a bag of KB and a bag of xyz charcoal and expecting the same results.

Wet, dry, wet, dry, wet, dry.... I think I'll buy a boat!! Have either of you guys ever tried making lump out of freshly cut wood? Or anyone else?

So can you make all your lumps the same shape then if you wanted to ? Would there be a benefit to having uniform 2" cubes for example ? I would think the Butt end of logs they are shown cutting off in "swamp loggers" would be excellent for making lump charcoal ?

Bill

Back