My idea of a BBQ rub was just flipped on its head

YetiDave

is one Smokin' Farker
Apparently I still have a LOT to learn. I've been ordering rubs for the first time recently in an effort to better understand how to make them and I started off with Plowboys Yardbird - very similar flavour profile to the rubs I've been used to making, the only difference really being celery seed and the salt and sugar levels.

I loved the stuff, but I thought I'd order something different; so I went for BPS Desert Gold and Simply Marvelous Cherry. They arrived today and I tasted them both and wow, they are completely different from everything I've come to expect from a BBQ rub :shocked: Maybe I just lead a closeted life? I'm picking up on not so much cherry in the Simply Marvellous, but there's a spice I'm kicking myself trying to name because I'm sure I've used it a lot. And the Desert Gold? Well, sesame seeds. I never thought I'd see them in a rub. And again the flavour is completely unlike any rubs I've made in the past.

I guess my big question is, is there any kind of flavour that won't taste good with smoke? :confused: Here I was thinking that rubs were limited to a paprika, salt and sugar base with onion and garlic powder and hints of other spices. Yet here I am tasting rubs that would almost be at home in Middle Eastern cuisine

Edit - I plan on breaking in the cherry rub with a pork butt on Friday :grin: hopefully the fruit flavour will shine through a bit more once it's cooked

Try the cherry rub on pork ribs. That is where it really shines.

I am not a big fan of the cherry rub on the pork butts. It has a more subtle flavor than most rubs and just the amount of meat in a pork butt lessens the flavor of the cherry rub even more.

I've been using the desert gold with a little bit of the Little Louie's rub on my grilled chicken and Salmon recently. I know it's a hit because the Kids LOVE the salmon, and they don't like anything.

When you think about it, is there a place in this world where they don't cook with fire? I would think that whatever heat source they use for cooking is compatible with the flavor profile for that region.

Even in cultures where they don't eat cows for religious reasons, the spices and the flavor of smoke are still compatible with beef.

The one difference in my mind would probably be the presence of sugar in the preparation.

When you think about it, is there a place in this world where they don't cook with fire? I would think that whatever heat source they use for cooking is compatible with the flavor profile for that region.

Even in cultures where they don't eat cows for religious reasons, the spices and the flavor of smoke are still compatible with beef.

The one difference in my mind would probably be the presence of sugar in the preparation.

True, that. In the past I've thought I should maybe steer clear of some flavours when introducing smoke. I guess not :mrgreen:

True, that. In the past I've thought I should maybe steer clear of some flavours when introducing smoke. I guess not :mrgreen:

What I've learned from researching topics at this site, is that you can smoke just about anything. So, keeping that in mind, there are so many possibilities when you cross the borders into other countries.

Some rubs taste good on their own, some taste bad on their own. Some rubs that taste bad on their own, totally change when they are introduced to meat and do magical things once introduced and cooked on meat. Some rubs that taste great on their own, totally change for the worse or simply lose their punch once cooked.

Bottom line.....lots of trial and error until you either find a rub you love or make one you love. There are a lot of good ones out there on the market and there are a lot of bad ones. There's a rub out there for everyone!

I haven't bought any commercial rubs yet, just always threw on what I thought would be good, usually a lot of SPOG, some Slap Ya Momma Cajun spice, season salt, etc. The normal usually taste fine to me

The one time I really deviated, I tried the same spices I use to make Carnitas in a pot on the stove as a Butt rub. I figured if it tasted good simmered like that, it would taste even better smoked. Not so much. It was like all the other seasoning like the spiciness went up with the smoke and all I was left with was a strong Mexican Oregano taste. I'll admit, it took me a while to finish those leftovers.

My wife bought some Pomegranate based rub a few years back. I gave her a funny look, but tried it on pork chops....it was actually really good.

Thoey, the best "Mexican" BBQ place out here uses no Mexican Oregano on this ribs or chicken. It's mostly SPOG with high quality cumin. Turns out it isn't all that different from what most folks use for BBQ. Now, the little red potatoes, that he roasts under the chickens, they have herbs like oregano and thyme on them, bathed in chicken fat.

Thanks Landarc. Like I said, I used all the spices I normally use when making it in a pot and figured it would end up tasting close to the same. I'll play around with it again one of these days, but probably try it on some country style ribs, not a whole butt. Less meat to have to try and force down if it doesn't go right again. :mrgreen:

Back