My first try at pork carnitas. Will be doing it again!

Garrett

Babbling Farker
One of favorite dishes at a Mexican restaurant is carnitas, I've been saying for a long time I wanted to try making them myself. Today I finally did it and I wouldn't change a thing.
Started out with country style ribs cut into chunks. Seasoned with sea salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika.

Onto the pellet grill with hickory pellets at 180 for an hour to soak up smoke.

Made corn and black bean salsa.

I don't have a Blackstone, but I do have a discada. After an hour of soaking up smoke, the pork went for swim in canola oil on the disc to get a good seat.

After they got a good sear all around, I didn't think the tenderness was right yet, so I put them back on the pellet grill for another 30 minutes and that was enough.

Plate shots.

The flavor of these were unreal, the smoke flavor and texture of the sear on the outside and tender juicy pork goodness on the inside!
Thanks for looking.

It's the first thing I look at when going into any Mexican restaurant.
Yours looks great!
I've been wanting to get a copper pot and slow stir the pork for hours.
Getting it tender and crispy is key and you did just that! :thumb:

Man oh man that looks good. If you don't mind tell us how you made the black bean salsa please.

Man oh man that looks good. If you don't mind tell us how you made the black bean salsa please.

1 can of black beans drained
1 can of corn drained
1 can of Rotel drained
Salt and pepper to taste
Half bunch of fresh cilantro chopped( I like it and use a lot) 1/4 bunch will be fine
4-5 tablespoons of honey (I don't measure it just guessing)

Mix it all together and let sit in fridge for a couple hours before serving.

Back