My first Smoke... with some pron.

excaluber

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here, for providing so much info as I went into my first smoke. I posted some of this in another forum which helped me out a fair bit as well, so if anyone reads both I apologize in advance.

This is the story of my very first smoke... Its a story filled with hope, anger, food, smoke, and hopefully a sequel filled with redemption.

The days leading up:

I bought a 22" WSM...

img3448p.jpg

-Used Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Lump charcoal

-Bought 6" Mini splits from Fruitawood... got a variety pack... Apple, Peach, cherry, pecan, and hickory.

img3446d.jpg

img3447f.jpg

The Night before:

Used Meatheads memphis dust to dry rub the ribs, then wrapped in plastic and put in the fridge.

Made my own St. Louis Thin bbq sauce, put it in the fridge to set.

The day of the smoke:

-It was about 65 degrees outside, with a slight breeze

-I used a variation of the minion method to start (full chimeny, poured on top of unlit coals).

-Had two apple mini splits inbetween layers of unlit coals.

-There was definitely smoke leaking out the side of the lid and the top front access door.

-Used a Maverick et732 to track temps.

-I did make a mistake and not get everything completely ready to close at the start, because i forgot to fill my jugs of water up to dump in the water bowl. So the lid was probably off for a total of 10+ minutes while i got everything setup

Kept a cooking log.

1:15pm - dump the chimney on the unlit coals.

1:30pm - 311 Degrees (full pan, 2 closed vents, 1/8" open), 2 mini splits of apple, no meat on yet.

1:45pm - I'm a little concerned that the temp shot up so high that quickly.

2:00pm - 352 degrees (full pan, all 3 vents closed), no meat yet.

2:30 - Panic is setting in that I can't get this temp down...

3:00pm - 330 degrees (added 3/4 gallon water, all 3 vents closed), Decided screw it, I'm gonna have to go with a High Temp cook and added 3lbs of baby back ribs

3:30pm - 309 degrees (full pan, all 3 vents closed), meat is 115 degrees. Added 1 apple mini split.

4:45pm - 303 degrees (full pan, all 3 vents closed), meat is 183 degrees. Added a small peice of Hickory

6:00pm - 303 degrees (full pan, all 3 vents closed), meat is 200 degrees. Foiled and moved to oven to keep warm due to the wife not being home from work yet. Crap this isn't going according to plan at all!

6:30pm - Ribs taken from oven, glazed with homemade sauce, and carmalized on grill for for 10 mins each side.

7:00pm - Cut and served.

img3449ym.jpg

img3450.jpg

img3451w.jpg

img3452r.jpg

7:10pm - Licking bare bones wishing there was more.

Here's my afterthoughts and lessons learned.

After thoughts and comments...

-The ribs were much more tender then any of the ones I cooked on the grill so I masacred the cut... it wasn't a nice clean cut as you can tell by the photo above.

-The ribs were the best ribs i've made so far, they tasted awesome.

-Bark was great!

-LOVED the smell of hickory while smoking...was a huge fan, both smelled great, but the hickory was amazing.

-I couldn't really taste the smoke in the ribs. I only really used 1.5 mini splits on the meat itself though (The hickory was like 1/2 the size of a normal mini split). I'm pretty sure the first two I put on were burnt up by the time i put the meat on.

Plus i was constantly checking out the smoker (not peaking, just looking through the top vent)...so I reaked of smoke. And I've read you often don't taste the potency of the smoke if you've been IN the smoke all day . But the wife tasted it and said it was very good.

-I learned that the WSM pretty much wants to stay at Temp, its difficult to get it down or up once its locked in.

-I learned start with less then a full chimney of lit Lump ... You can always add more lit if your low.

-I learned start with cold water.

-I learned, if you're going to use lump, get a 2nd charcoal grate to prevent it from falling through (I got one yeasterday, $10 at lowes).

-Lastly I learned don't try doing other things while carmalizing your sauce! I ALMOST...almost burned the sauce. It was real close, another minute or two and it woulda been toast. It turned out dark, but it was still sweet and a little bit chewy...perfect for me that's how i like it. So the color was a little off, but the taste was still perfect.

Nice! That WSM is a beauty... welcome to the WSM family and those are some good looking slabs of meat too :)

Start with less lit coals and catch your temps on the way up. It is hard to get temps down as you discovered.

It does take a while for any vent adjustments to effect temps. If your temps do get too high, don't be afraid to close all the bottom vents in an effort to control temps as long as you leave the top vent wide open your coals won't go out, they are still getting oxygen, just not as much. Once you've reached your desired temp you can make minor adjustments with your bottom vent(s) to keep it where you want it.

Good start!!!!!

Way to go on your first cook! next thing you will be trying all sorts of stuff and using the fam as guinea pigs! Sometimes it works out and sometimes it don't...

Good first effort :thumb:
Next time use with a lot less lit coals. I use about 12 for a Minion start. As your temp gets within 15 degrees of your target, start shutting down the vents and let it ease up to your target temp. Once you get it locked in, it should cruise along nicely.

Like what Bruce said start with less lite coals. I used a chimney also for my first smoke and had the same problem. It gets hot very fast using a chimney. Several people here advised me to use the starter cubes. Yesterday I used 2 Weber starter cubes and it worked great. I'll never use a chimney again except for when I want a high starting temp for steaks.

Jerry

not sure What you mean by using starter cubes. You mean toss one in the bottom of the WSM under your unlit coals?

I do have starter cubes, that's how i get my chimney going.

I'd say you're off to a great start, and please keep posting here!

For whatever it's worth, some time ago before I even had a WSM, I had researched the Minion method, and found a video demonstrating how to set it up using a large empty juice can with the bottom cut out. After I got my WSM, I gave it a try and have been very happy with it ever since. Seems like it helps facilitate a nice even burn through of the coals.

Here's some pics that illustrate the technique:

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5508.jpg

IMG_5509.jpg

I used two starter cubes about 5-6 inches apart. I placed them on top of the lump. After lighting them I put lump on top of the cubes. Got it going in less than 10 minutes. Shut the lid with all vents open and watch the temp. As the temps rise close the vents until you get the target temp. It works great.

Sorry but I dont have any pics to show you.

Jerry

Back