THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A

akakakir

Hi,

So I'm new here, and new to the BBQ world. I've always been a fan of grilling, but I've always been using propane so far. Ôoooo the things I've missed. 3 weeks ago or so, I had the chance to pull the trigger on the last Vision Grill kamado at my local Costco during liquidation. I've since been reading here and there about everything and nothing BBQ wise, and was eager to finally try a typical BBQ low and slow cook. Decided to go with pulled pork, since this seemed rather easy.

I've started this thread 2 days ago asking what piece was what:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168703

I'm from Quebec, Canada, which means my native language is French (so that might explain if I write weird, or if you wonder what's the kind of beer you see on my pics :D). The BBQ tradition is almost nonexistent here, so I'm starting right at the bottom of the ladder. I'm glad I found this community, and am hoping for criticism so I can improve from there. I did not follow a specific method (or so I believe) but "improvised" from what I've read so far. There might be blatant mistakes and all I hope is to learn and improve.

So yeah, started with a picnic cut and a Boston butt. In addition to learning, I was hoping to cook both the same exact ways so I was able to identity my preferred cut for the future.

wQ8CCyP.jpg

On Friday night, made a rub of paprika, salt, black pepper, brown sugar, cayenne, mexican chili, oinon powder and garlic powder. Rubbed, wrapped and in the fridge for 12 hours.

WuoC4be.jpg

AWavxeF.jpg

1qVLgcq.jpg

Morning time, and it's finally time to fire the pit. Put some additional rub on the pieces

1qVLgcq.jpg

Decided to smoke with Maple (how could I do differently for a first attempt, being a man from NorthEast). Wasn't sure if I needed to put the wood chips in water first. Decided not to. Tried to maintain a 235F temp, chips directly on the charcoal and ready to go

WiKYvpT.jpg

Smoked a lot, but not really longer than for 20-25 minutes, which seemed to be a problem with this try. I put new maple chips 2 other times, after the first and 2nd hour.

Starting at the 4th hour, I vaporized the meat with a mix of Cider Vinegar and Worcestershire sauce every 75 min.

Already 5 hours in, meat stalling at 140F

6crG1tn.jpg

Now things started to go a bit worse. 7 hours in, meat seemed to stall again at 160F. I wished to wrap in foil at 170F up to 200F, but had people over and was getting anxious at how long it took. Decided to wrap at 160F since I felt it would make the process a bit quicker.

Before wrapping:

l4H0TMk.jpg

3QTdv8x.jpg

Well that didn't seem to help much. I felt I had no other choice than to boost the temperature up to 300F. It helped and the meat reached 195F in the next 90 minutes. Pulled the pieces out, kept them wrapped, put them in a cooler with sheets over them. Rested for 75 minutes.

Finished product. Hmmmm that seemed dry at first look, but was surprised how much it wasn't inside.

bqqQuXp.jpg

Time to pull and compare. Started with the Boston butt and was impressed at how rich the meat seemed and how easy it was to pull it. So it was until I reached the part around the bone which had a different texture and really wasn't as "soft" as the first part.

The picnic part was different. Maybe not as good as the best part of the Boston butt, but it was the same for all the piece and seemed like a success overall.

My first reaction before knowing anything about these cuts is that an expert might prefer the Boston butt since it might have a higher "ceiling" if done perfectly, but that the picnic cut is really easier and less of a risk for an amateur like me. Am I mistaken?

On the left, Boston butt, on the right, picnic:

rdrEENj.jpg

Blue: Boston - Green: picnic

1wA2egy.jpg

With swiss cheese as a sandwich:

OCikF6a.jpg

Overall, I'm quite satisfied since the taste was there, we all enjoyed our meal and I have great leftovers for the week. I found the meat to be a bit "mushy" however, and I am thinking not to foil next time. I love when the fat makes the meat tender and juicy, but I felt like the moist with that method wasn't that much from the fat, but from humidity itself. Not sure if I sound logic, but that's the best way I find to explain this.

Not happy about having to boost the temp either. Would have loved to have enough time to reach the proper internal temperature without having to do what I did.

Was hoping for a better color. I am under the impression that the lack of smoke might be the reason. What would be the proper solution to this? Whole pieces of wood instead of chips? Watering them beforehand? Getting rid of the kamado and go 100% smoker? :redface:

Sorry for the long post, but consider this my official introduction to this forum :D I'm eager to get better and bring the BBQ passion in my town!

Bonus pics:

Rib steak on the kamado from tonight. Rare as I like, and a great piece from Costco. Enjoyed every bit of it. Served with some pulled pork from yesterday, and beans from the backyard.

dOkxtbR.jpg

EMC:

sL6hKne.jpg

It looks pretty good to me -I do more picnics cuz they are less expensive.

Try doing 250-275* F the whole cook next time- shorter stalls and overall less time. I don't wrap till the rest. Try one wrapped and one not wrapped next time with all else the same and see. :wink:

Back