THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doc_Holliday

Got Wood.
Hey folks...I just finished my first brisket the other night and wanted to share some thoughts and ask a few questions. This brisket trimmed down to about 9 lbs. and I cooked it on my Weber Kettle & SnS using hickory chips for smoke at what I tried to keep at a consistent 225 degrees - which at times was a challenge as I chased the temp up and down for many hours.

I made it a point to log in an excel spreadsheet the cooker temp and the meat temp every 15 minutes. Seasoned it with only S&P and didn't wrap it while it cooked, though I did spritz it about every hour. Took it off after 9.5 hours at an internal temp of 193. I was shooting for 203 as I had read that was sort of the sweet spot, but based on the "feel" at 193 it really felt done, and the poker went in it like butter. I wrapped it immediately with foil, then in towels and then into the cooler for 2 hours. (I have since learned that I should have let it rest in the open for 20 minutes or so before wrapping?) I ended up carving it at an internal temp of about 160. During the cook I was interested to see where the "stall" would happen...it never did. I got a pretty consistent internal temp rise about about 3 degrees or so every 15 minutes. Why did I not get to the stall?

All in all I was happy with the cook, and I am excited to do some other things. I've been grilling steaks for some time but have just recently been bitten by the smoker bug!The last pic is my attempt at Burnt ends which clearly need some work, but man were they good!

Attachments

• IMG_6415.JPG
    IMG_6415.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_6420.JPG
    IMG_6420.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_6422.JPG
    IMG_6422.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_6426.JPG
    IMG_6426.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_6432.JPG
    IMG_6432.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_6440.JPG
    IMG_6440.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_6443.JPG
    IMG_6443.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_6444.JPG
    IMG_6444.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_6447.JPG
    IMG_6447.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 247
Stall shmall, give me a plate!

It looks like it turned out real nice. I have had one or two that didn't stall over the years but one of those I chalk up to the fact that the pit had a major temp spike around the time I would have expected it to happen. The other one, no idea.

Good looking slab of beef! Nicely done!

As for the stall - seems to me kind of hit or miss. I think the way you trim it has some bearing on it - as well as outside temp, humidity - heck maybe even the phase of the moon for all I know. All I know is that when I do hit it, I crutch it and get through it.

Stall shmall, give me a plate!

It looks like it turned out real nice. I have had one or two that didn't stall over the years but one of those I chalk up to the fact that the pit had a major temp spike around the time I would have expected it to happen. The other one, no idea.

That could be a good point. At about hour 5 I had a temp spike up to 280 (thats because I don't know WTF I'm doing I guess, and struggled to dial in the vents). Maybe thats when the stall would have happened? The meat temp at that time was 147.

Looks awesome!! My opinion on the stall is every piece of meat cooks differently, from my experience.. Your next one you may hit the stall or it could even take a couple hours longer. Somthing that's said on here all the time is: "It's done when it's done". Very nice job!

Grrr my phone lol. I meant to say

Your next one you may hit the stall and it could take a couple hours longer.

Something not somthing

Looks awesome!! My opinion on the stall is every piece of meat cooks differently, from my experience.. Your next one you may hit the stall or it could even take a couple hours longer. Somthing that's said on here all the time is: "It's done when it's done". Very nice job!

Another good point. I have noticed that BBQ and smoking "rules" are all over the map. I liken it to talking to 100 IRS agents and asking them the same question...you get about 60 different answers. Seems the case with BBQ. I am learning right away that much of this is going to be trial and error...and a heck of a lot of fun along the way! :razz:

Another good point. I have noticed that BBQ and smoking "rules" are all over the map. I liken it to talking to 100 IRS agents and asking them the same question...you get about 60 different answers. Seems the case with BBQ. I am learning right away that much of this is going to be trial and error...and a heck of a lot of fun along the way! :razz:

Lol so true.. I can honestly say I am no expert! I have learned so much on here that have saved me a lot of frustration. There are a lot of people on here who truly have a ton of knowlage.

Brisket looks good! I suggest would your temp chasing could be a function of spritzing. I concur with letting the brisket rest on counter before wrapping and placing in cooler.

Brisket looks good! I suggest would your temp chasing could be a function of spritzing. I concur with letting the brisket rest on counter before wrapping and placing in cooler.

I agree! Open=oxygen=temp spike...close intakes=temp drop...spritz and repeat. This will drive you crazy. Spritz once or twice. Your cook will be much more relaxing. Brisket looks good though. :thumb:

Just beautiful. I bet tasty. S and pepper often reveals a flavor that was always there.. But crowded when use too complex a rub.

I've only done one brisket so far, but lots of pork butts. All of my butts have stalled, usually around 165*F which is fairly common temp for both pork and brisket I believe.

My one brisket though, it stalled at 198*F. Took it 8hrs to get there (250-275*F on an Egg), and it stayed in the stall for 2.5hrs. I called mine 'done' with an IT of 210, and I likely would have let it go longer if I hadn't ran out of time. I pulled it at 207 and then after probing a bit decided it wasn't done yet so put it back on.

Looks like a great first attempt. I agree with the above about spritzing. Every time you open it there is a sudden rush of O2. Makes stable temps a nightmare. And as far as temps go, find where the smoker wants to run and let her ride. In my opinion, briskets can cook anywhere from 200* to 325*, all depends on your smoker and your urgency. Set her up, get the meat on, let the temps stabilize, and let her do her thang...

Back