THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Walmart had briskets on sale for $1.98/lb, so my wife picked up a 10lb one. I rubbed it with Bigmista's beef rub and it is now resting overnight in the fridge.

I am planning to smoke it hot and fast on the Akorn tomorrow. Here goes nothing!

Here it is:

Did not get a shot of it after slicing, but it was wonderful. I cooked it on the Akorn with Royal Oak Chef's Select Charcoal and a couple of chunks of Pecan. It took about 5.5 hours at 325*F. I checked on it when the IT was 200*F, but the flat still had some resistance. I let it go another 30 minutes and it probed perfectly. I was really surprised at the quality of the meat, since it was labeled Select.

Lessons learned:

1. Trim more fat before cooking.
2. BigMista's Beef Rub rocks!
3. Hot and fast cooking on the Akorn is soooo easy. I was able to do all sorts of things while the brisket was cooking. I like my RF offset, but sometimes it's nice to set it and forget it.

Here it is:

Did not get a shot of it after slicing, but it was wonderful. I cooked it on the Akorn with Royal Oak Chef's Select Charcoal and a couple of chunks of Pecan. It took about 5.5 hours at 325*F. I checked on it when the IT was 200*F, but the flat still had some resistance. I let it go another 30 minutes and it probed perfectly. I was really surprised at the quality of the meat, since it was labeled Select.

Lessons learned:

1. Trim more fat before cooking.
2. BigMista's Beef Rub rocks!
3. Hot and fast cooking on the Akorn is soooo easy. I was able to do all sorts of things while the brisket was cooking. I like my RF offset, but sometimes it's nice to set it and forget it.

Looks great!

Back