THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

markdtn

is one Smokin' Farker
I have been studying my cookbooks and For Memorial Day I decide to make a little bit of everything. In the future I will tone it down a little, but yesterday I cooked 17 different things. Here is what I did with a little commentary and a few photos.
1-2 fatties, they were good
2-Chris Lilly "Smoked leg quarters w/ fresh herbs". Good but not much herb flavor on the chicken, just the skin. Next time I may take the skin off.
3/4-ask.com "Chili Lime Wings" and breasts. A family favorite
5-Myron Mixon "Whole chicken". It was good
6-Chris Lilly "Loaf pan chicken". It was good but soaking in juice didn't get as much smoke flavor to some of it as we would have liked.
7-Myron Mixon "peach beans". Not nearly as much flavor as we wanted, bland. Not bad, just needs doctoring up.
8-Chris Lilly "Smoked pork tenderloin with Michigan cherry sauce". This was great! should have reserved more of the sauce to go over it later. The ones I froze, I will make more when I serve it.
9-Wicked Good Ribs, these were very good. Wet is not my usual style, but these turned out very well. My picky 10 year old wanted more. See detail photo.
10-Drumettes with Big Butz chicken rub, these were OK
11-Chris Lilly "Bare naked brisket". Very good! I will be making this again.
12-Pulled pork. A staple. It was good.
13-Chris Lilly "Smoked turkey breast with honey maple glaze". Very good!
14-Country style ribs with Oakridge Secret Weapon rub. Delicious!
15-Pork shots. Very labor intensive. I used beef sausage which didn't help. A bit too much cream cheese. I will make 1 more time, but not sure the bang for the time is there for us.
16-salmon with honey mustard, a family favorite. It was good.
17-Bush backup beans with brisket scraps from an earlier cook. Just ate a bite but is was pretty good.

Conclusions:
1-17 things is too much for 1 day. Need to pick out 10 or so and not have to prepare so many different things. It was constant making this and washing dishes to have enough mixing bowls.
2-Chris Lilly has some very good recipes for home.
3-Myron Mixon book recipes need to be looked at carefully. I really want to go to his class, but from all I have read here his book recipes are not always true to form.

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

Last edited:
Doing this would have me running like a mad man. Nice Job.

Thanks! I was running like a mad man. It was good, brought leftovers to work today and they were very well received. I will cook fewer recipes next time, I think that will make it easier.

Impressive, most impressive! But you're killing yourself man. Cut that at least in half or more if you want to keep you're sanity. I do only one type of chicken, a butt or two, brisket or pulled beef chuckies, maybe some turkey legs, several racks of ribs and some sausage for my mega cooks. Oh, and also a big ole pan of pit beans?:thumb:

Impressive, most impressive! But you're killing yourself man. Cut that at least in half or more if you want to keep you're sanity. I do only one type of chicken, a butt or two, brisket or pulled beef chuckies, maybe some turkey legs, several racks of ribs and some sausage for my mega cooks. Oh, and also a big ole pan of pit beans?:thumb:

Yep! I agree. Butts and brisket are relatively easy; as are the wings, breasts, and salmon we cook. Next time I will cut back to those and maybe just do 1 type of other pork-ribs, country ribs, or tenderloin. Some whole poultry-either chicken or turkey. One type of beans and some sausage which I didn't even do this time. I have to stay pretty heavy on the poultry and fish side though as my wife has an unusual, but severe, allergy to all mammal meat. So I have to have stuff for her to eat too-but it's hard for me to think big BBQ cook without pork and/or brisket.

Very impressive! It really is a surprising amount of work doing a lot of different recipes. It is hard to comprehend until you do it.

Excellent work!:clap:

Back