THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fsonicsmith

Knows what a fatty is.
It was 70 degrees here in Central Ohio so I had the wise idea to leave the office early, fire up the smoker, and cook a..... beef belly. A certain webtailer featured this cut. I bought two among many other items.
Yellow mustard slather and a tried and true homemade rub. Five hours at 275 on the trusty Shirley 94 (48 x 24 direct flow). Mix of apple and hickory.
It looked beautiful when I pulled it.
I let it rest under a heat lamp for an hour.
When I went to slice it all hell broke loose. My heat lamps are mounted under a Thermador range hood above shoulder height. Though I carefully lowered the grooved cutting board what seemed like a half-gallon of hot beef fat went streaming and later oozing everywhere including all over our Thermador range much to my wife's dismay.
I have NEVER seen a higher fat to lean ratio. Before and after cooking it was perhaps an inch and quarter thick. When I went to slice the top 70% was all fat. The lean underneath had a nice smoke ring and good flavor, very reminiscent of Asian style roast pork, only beef.
I will never buy or try this cut of beef again. The work/spent fuel/finished product ratio is off-the-charts low.
What little useable meat I have will go into a rice stir-fry tomorrow.
Hope this of help to someone.
Was it all bad? Nope. I love to burn wood and relax and at least I did that.

Back