THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P

PitPirate

I'm from the East Coast of Carolina [I don't believe there is a South Carolina] and down there we like our BBQ with a simple Vinegar Sauce. I checked the recipies and didn't see anything close.

There are two variations in Eastern and Western Carolina sauces so I will give you examples of both. Main difference is Western tosses in a bit of Katchup.

If you've never had this it's cheap to try at least once.

Eastern BBQ Sauce
1 and 1/2 Cups of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 and 1/2 tbsp Kosher Salt
1/2 TEASPOON Cayenne [don't over do!]
1 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 and 1/2 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
Serves 15 or pulled pork from a 10lb butt

Western BBQ Sauce
Just add:
1/3 Cup Katchup

No heating needed just wisk until sugars and salts desolve.

Try it and enjoy it!
peace

Now, don't say I never gave ya something. lol

Mike, there are also recipes in the files section. One document in the files section has like 100 rubs and sauces in it, among those are several Carolina type sauces. I had never tried anything like them but now love them on pulled pork.

I use a finishing sauce a lot like your Eastern version when I do pulled pork. It's surprising how much the vinegar "sweetens" the pork.

PitPirate said:
I'm from the East Coast of Carolina [I don't believe there is a South Carolina] There are two variations in Eastern and Western Carolina sauces

I lived in SC so I know it's there. My ex was from Statesville area just north of Charlotte. The best pork sandwiches I've ever tasted were from a joint called Little Pigs.

My question to you is which side would Statesville be on? East or west?

Go to Lil' Pigs and have a sandwich for me.

Thanks Mike, I smoked two 7 lb. butts last weekend. Pulled em and froze em in smaller portions. I'll be trying both your versions this weekend.

Yes, thank you. I have been fussing around trying to get one of these just right. I think I'm not using enough sugar in relation to salt. I also find myself adding some water to increase volume ...maybe not a good idea.

Back