THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard decision, I know, but priorities are what they are.... usually difficult but necessary. Keep your head up and HE will take care of you. Like THoey1963 said above.... hold on for a year and see where things are. May can even put a little into it at a time until it's done. Seem like you have good people working with you.

I agree with all the comments above. It's a hard decision but considering your circumstances and situation, I feel that you made the right decision and since He gave you the sign, all is well Bro :-D Glad to hear Chris and Amber honored your decision - first class people in my book. On another note, I can swing by tonight to look at the new beauty in the house?

Hey Haniel. Tough decision, but better to make it now than to wait a couple more weeks. Chris and Amber are wonderful people and this is just another example of it.

Just put the dream on the shelf and see where you are a year from now.

Amen.

That new rug crawler will take your mind off of your trailer plans for a while. Congratulations in that regard.

Chris and Amber have always been wonderful to me. Lone Star Grills should be at the top of anyone's list of smoker builders.

Usually it's harder to make the right decision than bury your head and ignore the obvious. You have a good head on your shoulders and are making a rational decision.

Take care of your family first. Your dream trailer will be even sweeter when can finally pull the trigger and you will be rewarded for delaying your pleasure. God bless and congrats on your little one on the way !

Thanks bro, you better come by šŸ˜„

I agree with all the comments above. It's a hard decision but considering your circumstances and situation, I feel that you made the right decision and since He gave you the sign, all is well Bro :-D Glad to hear Chris and Amber honored your decision - first class people in my book. On another note, I can swing by tonight to look at the new beauty in the house?

you made the right call. The "I want it" factor can be really strong. But family peace and happiness comes first.

I was in a very similar situation. I had just placed an order for an insulated vertical from LSG last fall and then had a major budget shift in my household due to an unexpected property tax issue. I had to ask everybody in the house to make sacrifices. Wouldn't have been right for me to not to make sacrifices myself so I had to cancel my order. The folks at LSG could not have been more understanding and gracious. As soon as my situation gets better later this year, I am sure I will go right back and get my smoker ordered again from LSG.

Life isn't always perfect. Making decisions that put your family first is something that you shouldn't ever have to feel bad about. Too bad that more people don't do this. LSG will be there when the time is right.

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I truly felt a big weight had been lifted from my shoulders. This was the right decision.

Anyway, here are pics from what my day ended up being, it's not a trailer, but it's a blessing nonetheless.

One of the most gracious people on earth, Chris and Amber Goodlander

I ended up grabbing one of my VIS that has nonstandard door orientation since it was supposed to be 2 back to back on a trailer with one of them opening the other way.

8" locking swivel casters, tie down rings, handles on both sides, diffusion plate, and extra rails for rib fest.

D41E3DE1-51A7-4352-895B-B8C6463E6BAA.jpg

I'm jealous of that square smoker, when I asked about one last year they said they just aren't making them anymore. Looks like the best all around design for me.

So, you got a massage?

(Can't seem to post your first image from my iPhone. )

Looks like you got my new smoker. Wait, it's not March yet.

Good luck with her Haniel. Be sure to share tips from using her. I'll be learning from you.

I'm jealous of that square smoker, when I asked about one last year they said they just aren't making them anymore. Looks like the best all around design for me.

Food that comes off of it tastes great, but there are some design issues with it. The firebox isn't deep enough to leave the door open when stickburning a la Franklin without smoke coming out through door, there are two opening left and right for the smoke to enter cooking chamber, and depending on where your flame is, it'll draft one way and leave half your cook chamber 30 degrees cooler. I have to rake the fire around sometimes to even it out.

The idea that it's a hybrid grill / smoker doesn't work well at all. What makes it a great smoker is that it's supposed to be air tight. Well, when grilling on the charcoal baskets, the fire dies as soon as you close the lid. So, no go on grilling or leave lid open.

Then the gasketing around was not the current stainless steel high end gasket, so I get a lot of leaks. Not consequential that it affects the cook greatly, but with a fully loaded charcoal basket I only get 3.5 hours of cook time.

Welded on T plates were useless as the firebox isn't air tight enough to allow snaking. I had it removed from my charcoal basket.

There's a reason they don't make that anymore :-D. I think it was the prototype to the VIS that they make now and sells like hotcakes.

Looks like you got my new smoker. Wait, it's not March yet.

Good luck with her Haniel. Be sure to share tips from using her. I'll be learning from you.

The smoker I picked up yesterday was one of the ones that's supposed to go on my trailer.

Last edited:
owning a LSG VIS would be a dream come true to a lot of people. i would have bought one if they were making the mini a couple of years ago. without a time-frame for when they would start making them i had to go another route since i couldn't see the need for the regular sized one at the time. i really wish i would have just bought the bigger LSG.:tsk:

Yeah, I have to be grateful. My dream hasn't died, it's just postponed. I can always pick it back up when all my ducks are in a row. Heck, maybe I'll take my VIS to Tuscaloosa and have Tyler build me a Hybrid :idea:

But the fact that I'm in Houston, the cost savings of going with LSG for shipping just can't be beat.

owning a LSG VIS would be a dream come true to a lot of people. i would have bought one if they were making the mini a couple of years ago. without a time-frame for when they would start making them i had to go another route since i couldn't see the need for the regular sized one at the time. i really wish i would have just bought the bigger LSG.:tsk:

Seasoning time!!

Meatbot is grinning ear to ear after meeting his mate, even though it's an arranged marriage

12 lbs of briquettes mixed with fist sized oak chunks arranged in snake-like fashion

Since my intakes are on the right (I got a non-standard orientation), I put the head fire on the left, that way stoker fan doesn't blow the fire to the rest of the coals

What's amazing is....Thin blue Magoo within minutes

Perfunctory naked fatty?? We kix it up a notch up in here ...

Back