THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

midwest_kc

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Joel
Didn't feel like firing up the WSM, so I did this on my performer. Thursday has become "Steak and Beer Night" at my house, so I had a nice cowboy ribeye ready to go. Also, I had been drooling over scotch eggs for a while, so I decided to do some of them, as well as some burgers and brats that I could bring to work for lunch (I work retail, and Friday is my Monday...so these are "for the week" lunches).

Here are the players:

20140417_172908.jpg

And the eggs already boiled and getting wrapped

20140417_163339.jpg

I waaaaay underestimated the amount of sausage I would need. I boiled a dozen eggs, and could only wrap 5 with the pound of sausage - luckily, I'll eat hard boiled eggs with just salt.

20140417_164054.jpg

When it was time to season them, I decided to use Butcher's Honey Rub - Why? Because it sounded good! I had to call in some reinforcements to help me season them - he's good at seasoning, not so much looking at cameras!

20140417_164257.jpg

Ready to cook!

20140417_164420.jpg

I put some plastic wrap over the top of them, and put them in the fridge while I got everything else ready, and the performer fired up, to help them firm up a bit. I seasoned up the burgers and steak (as seen in the first picture), and went to fire up the charcoal. After I got that taken care of, I rounded up some refreshments to keep me company while I cooked.

20140417_171116.jpg

Then I started cooking! First on went the brats and eggs. I cooked them both indirect with pecan wood. My intent is to have the eggs for breakfasts, so I started with the items that would be going to the fridge.

20140417_182202.jpg

I tried to finish the brats over the direct heat, and then my helper came outside and needed a hand getting his tee and bat outside, so they got overcooked, but that's ok. I also did the burgers direct, and here they are before they head to the chill chest.

20140417_181923.jpg

I didn't get a pic of the steak cooking, but I did a reverse sear on it, which is still something I'm trying to get down. I got it just a tad bit too done ideally, but it was still super juicy and tasty.

20140417_192249.jpg

And then this morning I had an egg, and these were unbelievable. I will certainly be making these often. They were just...wow. I think I may try a more savory flavor next time, but these sweeter ones will be a breakfast staple now.

20140418_101516.jpg

Thanks for lookin' guys! If anyone hasn't had the scotch eggs yet - do it! You won't be disappointed - just know that it will use more sausage than you think!

Back