My Cheap Offset ....

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Turned 2 years old 02-27-2023. Ok Joe's Highland offset. Mods are extended stack of 18", a coal basket, and a Primo Oval XL cast iron divider used as a deflector. Bout it. I don't abuse it, it sits outside with a dust cover. If I pay attention it cooks perfectly edible foods. Management of distractions helps a lot. It's important. I use it often enough to remain proficient, but I realize it's not a forever cooker. Just gave it a Pam massage, on it's two hundred 225° body.
Shiner

Last edited:
Two year warranty.
It's gone
Just COS and Me.

Craters anytime soon, Im.Old Country shopping. Don't need huge, don't need large capacity, don't need an heirloom.

But about pellet cookers. Here's where something comes into play having a PC. I just cooked two racks of ribs on COS for about 3:45:00. Went for a just under 2 mile urban hike then Bride needs an errand run. Was gone just under 2 hours. COS was at 230° and totally out of fuel. Nothing but coals and ash. So wrapped ribs with Texas Rib Candy Pineapple Habanero and Franklin Original BBQ sauce. I pushed button on Pit Boss Austin XL pellet cooker and moved the wrapped ribs to the top shelf at 250°. Took less than five minutes to reach temp. If you accept a pellet cooker for what it does and not what it doesn't, you'll be happy.
If I spent thousands of dollars on my pellet cooker I might feel differently. I spent $249. I'm satisfied.

This is the mission. These are the expectations. This is the reality. Where those all overlap is the sweet spot that some manage to never find.

Good on you.

I had the same one before I got my LSG. My best brisket was the second one I made on that thing. People still talk about it.

Very Nice Adams. You have had some very good cooks off of that. My first was a Chargriller Offset. Had a lot of fun with it. Now I use my Large BGE which is also fun

I have the OK Joe, either Longhorn or Highland, forget which. Got it when I first got settled in GA, seven years in and still going strong. That said, go with Adams' advice and get the Old Country if available.

I got hundreds of great cooks from my Chargriller and then gifted it to a young friend who had the desire.

It's all about enjoying your own Bock yard :cool:

That's a fine cooker for sure, turning out some good grub.
Every once in a while I still fire up the old Brinkman, fun to cook on.

My son and DIL picked up a curb find OK Highland. Missing a few items and grates in sad shape. Yea plan on fixing it up and using it this summer. Glad to know they are good beginner units.

Back