My 2nd Prime Brisket smoking experience!!!

Daniel13

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Hey everyone. Back again with another smoke! This was my 3rd time smoking ever! 2nd time smoking brisket. Had a huge success with my first one. I created a post about that if you want to check that out.
So I basically tried to replicate what I did the first time to see if I actually mastered smoking brisket with my first attempt haha. I'll give you the run down on my experience.

Like I said earlier, I tried to do everything the same as last time, so for this smoke I used my 18.5" Weber smokey mountain and purchased the whole packer prime brisket at Costco. I used kingsford original briquettes with pecan and hickory.

Got my minion method set up and the chimney going at 5am and then started prepping the brisket. Trimmed it up nice and clean, leaving 1/4" of fat on top and tried to remove as much silver skin and fat on the bottom. After that was done, I seasoned it with kosher salt and coarse pepper and waited for the smoker to come up to 200f so I could start adjusting the bottom vents to the size of a #2 pencil opening but leaving the top one 100% open.

I tried to get the temp to 225 like my first smoked brisket but I didn't have time to wait for it to drop so I threw it on at 240. The next time I smoke a brisket, I'll be smart enough to put hot water in the water pan and not from my garden hose. I'm pretty sure that was the reason it took so long to get to temp. I covered the lid and didn't look inside for 6 hours, but coming back every hour making sure the temp was good. I managed to maintain it at 230

Here's what it looked like 6 hours in. I did not wrap the brisket.

This was the bizarre part of my day. 4 hours later ( 10 hour into the smoke) the damn brisket was registering 180! No idea why or how but I was a little worried but I rolled with it. 11 hours in, my brisket registered 195 and probed like soft butter. I took the brisket off the smoker, wrapped it with heavy duty foil and wrapped in a thick towel and let it rest for 3 hours in the oven(off)

Well.... to me, it was another huge success, which makes me want to do another one to see if I'm just getting lucky or if I figured out how to smoke a brisket lol.

Hope you guys like the pics! My sister, the photographer/ videographer did me a favor :)

Here's a video of the brisket!

[ame="https://youtu.be/YJpxmTreRWc"]https://youtu.be/YJpxmTreRWc[/ame]

Last edited:
I never really found brisket being a pain to cook as long as you follow the probe tender rule. I learned of that the first brisket I've cooked and I've never had a bad brisket. Sure there has been a couple that ended slightly under cooked because i was rushing it.

Looks like your on a roll! Great lookin brisket

The most remarkable thing I found about the two prime briskets I've done was that they cooked quite a bit faster.
Looks great!

Hey everyone. Back again with another smoke! This was my 3rd time smoking ever! 2nd time smoking brisket. Had a huge success with my first one. I created a post about that if you want to check that out.
So I basically tried to replicate what I did the first time to see if I actually mastered smoking brisket with my first attempt haha. I'll give you the run down on my experience.

Like I said earlier, I tried to do everything the same as last time, so for this smoke I used my 18.5" Weber smokey mountain and purchased the whole packer prime brisket at Costco. I used kingsford original briquettes with pecan and hickory.

Got my minion method set up and the chimney going at 5am and then started prepping the brisket. Trimmed it up nice and clean, leaving 1/4" of fat on top and tried to remove as much silver skin and fat on the bottom. After that was done, I seasoned it with kosher salt and coarse pepper and waited for the smoker to come up to 200f so I could start adjusting the bottom vents to the size of a #2 pencil opening but leaving the top one 100% open.

I tried to get the temp to 225 like my first smoked brisket but I didn't have time to wait for it to drop so I threw it on at 240. The next time I smoke a brisket, I'll be smart enough to put hot water in the water pan and not from my garden hose. I'm pretty sure that was the reason it took so long to get to temp. I covered the lid and didn't look inside for 6 hours, but coming back every hour making sure the temp was good. I managed to maintain it at 230

Here's what it looked like 6 hours in. I did not wrap the brisket.

This was the bizarre part of my day. 4 hours later ( 10 hour into the smoke) the damn brisket was registering 180! No idea why or how but I was a little worried but I rolled with it. 11 hours in, my brisket registered 195 and probed like soft butter. I took the brisket off the smoker, wrapped it with heavy duty foil and wrapped in a thick towel and let it rest for 3 hours in the oven(off)

Well.... to me, it was another huge success, which makes me want to do another one to see if I'm just getting lucky or if I figured out how to smoke a brisket lol.

Hope you guys like the pics! My sister, the photographer/ videographer did me a favor :)

Here's a video of the brisket!

https://youtu.be/YJpxmTreRWc

I've been cooking smaller packers ( choice, from RD ) on my 14.5" WSM. haven't been as lucky as you. i run the hot water pan, trim the packer and slap it on the top grate naked the whole way at around 250-275. mine are coming out way too dry. everything is good until around the 190 mark. probing nicely, but not quite there. Seems like after 190 and up, the brisket starts to toughen up and dry out. probes better at 190 than it does at 200. but by that time its over, the brisket has toughened and dried out too much.

I've been cooking smaller packers ( choice, from RD ) on my 14.5" WSM. haven't been as lucky as you. i run the hot water pan, trim the packer and slap it on the top grate naked the whole way at around 250-275. mine are coming out way too dry. everything is good until around the 190 mark. probing nicely, but not quite there. Seems like after 190 and up, the brisket starts to toughen up and dry out. probes better at 190 than it does at 200. but by that time its over, the brisket has toughened and dried out too much.

Daniel, great job on the briskets! Wish my first 2 went that well.

Bosox, if your brisket isn't crumbling when you slice it then you haven't overcooked it

Dry and tough = undercooked
Dry and crumbly = overcooked

My briskets got much better when I started leaving it on the smoker for 30-90 minutes after I thought it was "done"

That settles it...I need to find a prime brisket supplier. Easy to get prime steaks and sides, but never seen a prime brisket around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back