THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stargate823

Knows what a fatty is.
So... I decided to try a recipe out of this grilling magazine I bought years ago but hadn't tried in a long time. Since last I tried it I've learned so many things that make my Q turn out great instead of subpar. After dinner tonight I decided I MUST share this with the brethren because the end result was absolutely incredible!!! This was originally a beer can chicken recipe but I modded it a bit to use with a spatchcocked chicken. Here is what I did...

The rub:

2 TBSP kosher or sea salt
4 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Reserve 1 tablespoon of rub for the sauce.

Do this: Spatchcock a chicken. Rub the bird down with vegetable oil and sprinkle rub all over. Be sure to get some oil and rub under the skin on the breasts. I didn't use any wood for this cook but I will next time. I cooked my bird on an 18" Weber smokey mountain without a water pan at 300 - 325. Cooking direct over the coals gives a flavor that cannot be beat. Check temp after an hour. My 7 pound bird took about an hour and 20 minutes to hit temp. Pull at 165 and rest for 5 - 10 minutes.

While the bird is cooking, prepare the sauce:

In a sauce pan combine the following and heat:

6 oz beer (Budwieser or similar lager)
6 TBSP ketchup
3 TBSP dijon mustard
1.5 TBSP molasses
1.5 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 TBSP rub
1/2 tsp hot sauce, such as tobacco

This is not a glaze sauce as much as it is a drizzle/dip sauce after the chicken is done and cut. The results are incredible! I'd love for my fellow brethren to try this and tweak as they see fit - best chicken I have made in a very long time!!! Here's a pic of the bird ready to come off - sorry there isn't any more pics... too busy enjoying the mouth-gasm! I'd love to hear feedback on this recipe!!! Please try it and enjoy!!!

1053055_10151700465113470_1726662901_o.jpg

That looks great! :hungry:

Looks like you left the water pan out, right? I do that a lot on my mini-WSM and like the way it cooks. The extra distance between food and charcoal seems to provide just the right amount of heat for stuff like chicken. :thumb:

Where does one find this "tobacco" hot sauce?:confused::p

Woops - you zinged me! LOL! I meant Tobasco! :doh:

That looks great! :hungry:

Looks like you left the water pan out, right? I do that a lot on my mini-WSM and like the way it cooks. The extra distance between food and charcoal seems to provide just the right amount of heat for stuff like chicken. :thumb:

Yep - no water pan. This was on my 18" WSM. I've also used the 22" WSM in the same way. Direct over the coals with no pan and 300-325 is my new favorite way to cook chicken. This bird came out fantastic! :biggrin1:

Def looks and sounds good. I will try as I always hunt for a good chicken recipe. So far my favorite is the Walkerswood jerk marinade but this recipe fits my flavor profile.

Back