THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elrik

Knows what a fatty is.
Another late post for me, but easily the best thing I have ever smoked to date!

In-laws were in town for awhile and came up with a request for me smoke a goat leg for a family get together. Grabbed a fresh one straight off the truck at the ethiopian butcher up the street and had to figure out what to do with it.

Having just been through Kentucky and having had my first sample of mutton bbq, i was inclined to use an Owensboro style technique but my wife shot that and a traditional indian style down, as she wanted something more middle eastern or north african in style. Ultimately decided to go with modifying a Steven Raichlen recipe for a Moroccan Lamb Leg. Took the goat leg and cut some of the hard fat off the surface. Then scored the leg and put some garlic, ginger, onion and fat into the scores and salt and peppered the leg. Once that was done, I made the basting mix which was onion, garlic, ginger, cilantro, paprika, cumin, olive oil and S&P all pureed together and cooked off for a few minutes. Recipe called for a hot cook with basting every 20 minutes. I did a cooler cook and basted every hour. Meat took about 9 hours to reach 190 and came off to rest once it was probe tender. Meat developed a nice bark despite the basting and was wonderfully tender and moist despite being pretty lean (at least compared to a pork butt). The taste was FANTASTIC and I served it alongside the rest of the baste as a sauce. It was a huge hit and personally I think it was the best BBQ I have ever turned out.
goat1.jpg

goat2r.jpg

goat3g.jpg

goat4.jpg

goat5.jpg

goat6.jpg

goat7.jpg

Had a potluck with the family and had clockwise Goat and Sauce, SIL's couscouse salad, MIL's eggplant curry, Mom's devilled/curried eggs and potato salad. Out of this world, will definately do again!

goat8.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looks great!! I have some goat legs in the freezer, you've inspired me to get them out and cook em! Thanks! :grin:

That looks amazing! ....... and a deviled egg. Around here good deviled eggs are becoming a lost art.

As a bloke who's done many a goat....leg...over a fire on twine, that is a fine effort.:clap:
Great flavours too.

Next, try it hotter n faster and pull it sooner.
Trust us Aussies on this...

You have some guts my friend to buy one of those without even knowing what to do with it when you bought it. You sure turned that into a nice meal.

I went to Congo, Africa 2 years ago and we ate a hella lot of goat. You're not going to believe this, but it didn't look or (as I imagine) taste anything like that.

Amazing, simply amazing! It's only 930 am and my mouth is watering for that savory dish. Great cook!:clap:

I went to Congo, Africa 2 years ago and we ate a hella lot of goat. You're not going to believe this, but it didn't look or (as I imagine) taste anything like that.

I would believe that! My in-laws used to have it all the time in east africa and they said it was very different from what they were used to. They did love it though, so all's good!

Never had goat, used to own a cute little goat so I'm not sure if I could eat one now. That said, RD has whole goats all the time. Hmmmmmm.

Beautiful cook thread, Elrik, and your photos did a good job showing us how delicious it was. Out of this world beautiful. I'm thinking I need to put a goat leg on my list of things to smoke, now, thanks for the inspiration.

One of my all time favourite dishes to eat when I'm in Mexico City, they call it "Cabrito" (a goat is a Cabra, so it's like "Little Goat") very crispy skin, always delicious.

20091201142835.jpg

Back