THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southstar Jeff

Full Fledged Farker
I have a new Bandera that I go on the $89 clearance. I've some firebrick for the firebox and for the bottom of the cook chamber.

I won't be grilling in the firebox, so left out the brackets for the racks in the firebox and want to line it to the top. I was thinking the loose bricks would fall in, so thinking of using some sort of adhesive to hold them in place.

I found this firebox mortar that seems to fit the bill.

https://www.rutland.com/p/44/fireplace-mortar

Anyone try fixing their firebox firebrick permanently in place?

I skipped that and just ordered thicker sheet metal for the bottom and the sides. I went with 1/4" steel.

I sort of kick myself for not getting one- I love to tinker with new cookers and learn their in's and outs. I'm not sure I'd do much modding to one- lining the firebox lid with a sheet of steel would probably be the only thing.

Maybe one will show up on the CL and catch me with a few $$ and spare room in my backyard.

I sort of kick myself for not getting one- I love to tinker with new cookers and learn their in's and outs. I'm not sure I'd do much modding to one- lining the firebox lid with a sheet of steel would probably be the only thing.

Maybe one will show up on the CL and catch me with a few $$ and spare room in my backyard.

Plano Walmart off Ohio have the displays for sale

I guess I will be the guinea pig. I like the idea of that ceramic mass, and if I mortar them in, no ash or other contaminants on the metal.

We are going to find out, lol.

Brick Lining

The fire brick I found fit snugly into the box...

Attachments

• Bricks from door.JPG
    Bricks from door.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Bricks from top.JPG
    Bricks from top.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 148
Is that with no cutting of the firebrick? If so, it seems like the firebox was designed for that. Nice! :thumb:

I had to trim one brick at the smoker wall, and notch two at the door side to clear the bolt heads. I used a masonry wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Tapped it all in with a rubber mallet.

Fire Basket

I fabbed the fire basket from angle iron, some landscape edging and expanded metal. The high steel sides keep some heat from the firebox sides.

Attachments

• Fire Basket.JPG
    Fire Basket.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Basket from door.JPG
    Basket from door.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 165
Back