More smoke flavor with a Yoder?

Not necessarily true. I get just as good smoke from my MAK as the other 5-7 cookers I've had over the years. Less than my drum, but that's because the fat drips on the coals, which I'm not a huge fan of that flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard many MAK users say the opposite including Kenyatta Robinson (I think he posts on here) that has a very good youtube channel called Backyard Smokemaster BBQ and he compares the flavor as mild compared to his LSG offset.

Now I believe the MAK produces a fine smoke characteristic, and probably better than many pellet grills, I don't believe it rivals an offset in smoke taste. It beats it hands down in many categories, like ease of use, and flexibility, but not everything.

Not everyone likes the smoke taste form a well run offset. I think it is too die for, but you have to have the time and energy to get it (or a good friend that does the work).

One confusion I have is -- if your pellet grill doesn't produce any smoking flavor, is it really just equivalent to a gas grill that you can set exact temps on? I'm trying to understand the marketing perspective as I look to buy a pellet grill.

In my experience, my Yoder YS640, which I love and use often does not produce as pronounced of a smoke flavor as my other cookers. Comparing it to a gas grill, it produces way more smoke and wood flavor and is also much more versatile.

I’ve owned 10 different pellet grills or smokers from a GMG to a Cookshack FEC120. They’re all the same. Same flavor of smoke was produced by all. Some where more efficient than others but ultimately not an ounce of difference on smoke profile. Pellet poopers are just not made for everyone. And before someone says a MAK, I currently own a 2 Star and it is no better than the Yoder or P&S or Memphis grills. As far as smoke as an ingredient, the best flavor I have ever gotten came from a Hunsaker or a Gateway Drum.

I’ve owned 10 different pellet grills or smokers from a GMG to a Cookshack FEC120. They’re all the same. Same flavor of smoke was produced by all. Some where more efficient than others but ultimately not an ounce of difference on smoke profile. Pellet poopers are just not made for everyone. And before someone says a MAK, I currently own a 2 Star and it is no better than the Yoder or P&S or Memphis grills. As far as smoke as an ingredient, the best flavor I have ever gotten came from a Hunsaker or a Gateway Drum.

What do you do when you outgrow one? Sell it? Some of these grills you are mentioning are thousands of dollars.

Last edited:
Nah, not here. This is my 3rd Yoder, I know what I am getting into. I don't have the desire to babysit a stickburner and even the XL BGE or Primo XL aren't big enough for most of my cooks. I am looking for tricks to optimize the smoke flavor. Seems like I have quite a few now.

1. Stronger pellets (I am working on my second Lumberjack group buy)
2. Smoke tube with chips
3. Take out the water pan and spritz to cool the surface to attract more smoke

Good to hear. Perhaps by your 4th or 5th Yoder you'll have it all sorted out?

Back