Mista's rib experiment

YankeeBBQ said:
They look pretty good, maybe a tad on the charred side. That could be caused by one of your rub components not sure or maybe it's just my monitor. You might consider using a finishing glaze on the ribs. 1 Part honey or Maple syrup to 2 parts sauce. It gives the ribs a nice sheen that the judges seem to like. I use foil when cooking competition ribs. It's pretty much the 321 method but those aren't the times. It's more like Part one-Cook to desired color and some pullback from the bones..Part 2 Cook in foil to the ribs are the desired tenderness, I use a toothpick to determine this... Part 3- Apply sauce and finishing glaze over High heat to get some carmelization and that nice shiny red color. There could be a fair amount of time between parts 2 and 3 depending on how the ribs cook that day. I don't hesitate to pull my ribs off the cooker If I think they're done and let them rest. During part 3 they'll get plenty of heat on them.

You might also consider putting some liquid in the foil and some other seasonings. It's a great time to introduce another layer of flavor. Also at the end of the cook taste your ribs and you may decide they need salt or a rub with a salty sweet component. It can really kick up the flavor.

Steve

I'll try that glaze idea, the next time I make a rack. I think appearance is where I need the most work. Some of the guys who had my ribs at the bash last year seemed to like the taste. I don't think salty is an issue.

I'm also trying to find that fine line between "very tender" and "all of the meat comes off the bone with the first bite."

Bigmista said:
Does they jelly take away from the flavor of the rub?

i like the combo of sweet and heat so for me its good but i have been finding that i like the infused oil better. oil is shiner and can be flavored easily. also the jelly gives you a weird mouthfeel(maybe its the pectin) that to me is not consistent with bbq.
phil

Back