THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King

Full Fledged Farker

Currently, my guilty indulgence is skirt steak. The fatty, extruded strip of beef is from the underbelly of the cow, directly under the ribs. Skirt steak is often mistaken for flank steak, which is found directly beneath the sirloin. They are two different cuts of beef, thus, different flavor too. The fibrous skirt steak has unbelievable flavor because of its’ fat content, making it one of the most desired steaks (at least to me).

Typically, skirt steaks make excellent fajitas, tacos or eat it naked! My intentions for this installment will be making a phat skirt steak wrap!

Ingredients:
2lbs Skirt steak
D.L. Jardine’s Fajitas Seasoning

You don’t need much to enhance this cut of beef. I use a commercial brand rub that is fantastic, but it may be difficult to find. If that ingredient isn’t available, any fajita seasoning will work. And if you want to make your own: combine 2 parts kosher salt, 1 part ground black pepper, 1 part granulated garlic and 1 part ground dried onion…you are good to go.

Procedure:

1. Lightly season the beef with the fajita seasoning.
  2. Place steaks in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
  3. Let the steaks come to room temp, about 30 minutes.
  4. Setup the grill for direct heat, 600+ degrees.
  5. Sear both sides of the steak over direct heat, 5-10 minutes each side.

Once the steaks are on the grill, leave it alone for a few minutes, but afterwards make sure to check the beef so it doesn’t burn all the way through. You’re looking for a crusty sear that still looks moist. When you see the desired results, flip and repeat.

Take the steaks off the grill and let them rest for 5 minutes, this redistributes all the juices inside. After that, slice the beef against the grain so that you won’t be chewing strings of beef. This technique gives the steak a tender texture.

Meanwhile, I grabbed some goodies for the steak wrap:

• Mission style sun dried tomato flour tortilla
  • Monterrey jack cheese
  • Avocado slices
  • Onion, tomatoes, diced
  • Cilantro, chopped
  • S&P
I laid a generous pile of steak in the center of the tortilla and topped it with cheese, avocado, onion, cilantro, tomatoes and season with salt & pepper. Then, I rolled it up like a burrito, a COLOSSAL BURRITO! That first bite almost brought me to tears, it was that good. The juices from the steak melted the cheese which blended well with the creamy avocado…holy crap!

I could have eaten another one of these, but I’m sure I would have ended up in a steak coma. Delicioso!

You say steak coma like it's a bad thing.

One quirk I find with skirt steaks is that the contain a lot of water and cook relatively slow for how thin they are.

Dang...that's truly awesome! :clap2:

I'll take skirt steak over flank ANY day.

WOULDEAT.jpg

Back