THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've been here a while - there are some serious fans of MAK in this group. They don't make MAKS for people like me - I'm not in their demographic. But if they are skipping me -by design- and missing some of you (because of design features and pricing) this might have been a misstep by their design and marketing departments.

"It's a MAK- it will sell".

Guess we will find out.

I have serious doubts that there will be much of a run on this tabletop grill, not even from MAK fans. Hell, I am a MAK fan, been cooking on one for many years, but no way in heck does this check ANY boxes in its category for me.

Wonder why they chose stainless and not the material the one star is made of. Seems like a much better choice.

I can’t imagine they sell more than a handful of these. So many better options for a travel grill imho. Something like the GM Trek weighs 63 pounds.

Heck, the all stainless Pitts and Spitts mini, is $1200. Come with legs with rolling wheels.

Last edited:
Wonder why they chose stainless and not the material the one star is made of. Seems like a much better choice.

I can’t imagine they sell more than a handful of these. So many better options for a travel grill imho. Something like the GM Trek weighs 63 pounds.

Heck, the all stainless Pitts and Spitts mini, is $1200. Come with legs with rolling wheels.

The all stainless 2 Star upgrade has gotten a lot of love, I'm assuming maybe that was their thought process.

The all stainless 2 Star upgrade has gotten a lot of love, I'm assuming maybe that was their thought process.

They seemed to not give it much thought. If you look at a comparable stainless model from Pitts and Spitts, their 850 model all stainless is 4K and the 1250 is 5k. The Mak 2 star stainless fits right between them at 4.5k.

Now the portable the Mak is double the Pitts. 2.5 k vs 1.2 k

All others are way less. Like 400 for a trek. Sure less quality but for a traveling grill just can’t see someone paying 2.5k

Last edited:
MAK Mini

As a MAK owner, I do like that it is all stainless . I would need to leave it in my will as it will be around longer than me:). The weight is the obstacle I see. It makes it a two person job moving-loading it. We have a Hasty Bake Ranger stainless charcoal grill (pricey too). It weighs 48 pounds which means I can move it myself if needed. The 10 pound hopper with its small size should work the same as our 20 pound hopper on the MAK 2 Star. Would I like to have a MAK Mini? Yes I would. Do we need it when we own two MAK 2 Stars? Probably not. Then again do we need the other 8 Barbecues we have? (10 is our limit. So when a new one comes one has to leave). The Mini will sell as there is a small market that it will be just what they need/want.

the hopper is the same size as the cook chamber already. not sure the dimensions but of it can't fit a brisket or two racks of ribs thats a fail for a bbq grill, especially at that price point.

I didn't even realize the price when i posted. That's insane. I could buy at least 10 treager portable pellet poopers for that price. Even if each last 2 years, that's 20 years. I don't know much about MAK, but that company seems to be out of touch with reality, at least nowadays with how expensive things are.

I didn't even realize the price when i posted. That's insane. I could buy at least 10 treager portable pellet poopers for that price. Even if each last 2 years, that's 20 years. I don't know much about MAK, but that company seems to be out of touch with reality, at least nowadays with how expensive things are.

One thing I've learned is money is relative. 2 or 3 grand is really nothing to some, especially for something that lasts a lifetime. We get by, a family of 4 with a mortgage, on just my wages as a carpenter. I work with single men who cant make it two weeks until payday without bumming money. There are guys on this site whose gas bill I couldn't afford.

Sometimes it's not about value but this is about the least value I've ever seen in a cooker. Green eggs and maybe the Weber charcoal summit but this takes the cake by far....you can literally buy a shirley fab patio model for less.

Also whoever at mak that decided this thing was portable needs their head checked. Maybe with a folding stand and some wheels but that would probably drive the price up another 2 grand

One thing I've learned is money is relative. 2 or 3 grand is really nothing to some, especially for something that lasts a lifetime. We get by, a family of 4 with a mortgage, on just my wages as a carpenter. I work with single men who cant make it two weeks until payday without bumming money. There are guys on this site whose gas bill I couldn't afford.

Sometimes it's not about value but this is about the least value I've ever seen in a cooker. Green eggs and maybe the Weber charcoal summit but this takes the cake by far....you can literally buy a shirley fab patio model for less.

Also whoever at mak that decided this thing was portable needs their head checked. Maybe with a folding stand and some wheels but that would probably drive the price up another 2 grand

I spent more on my Timberline 1300 then my home oven. And Honestly, i use my PB820 ( i got for $250 on clearance at lowes) more then all my smokers. One of these days im going to convert my 1300 to a hybrid pellet smoker/ offset assist.

Back