Mexican American fusion - burnt end tamales

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
My wife's family makes tamales every year before Christmas, and they're always filled with some sort of tender sauced meat. Seemed to me there's a lot of crossover potential to do a barbecue infusion with tamales.

I cooked a couple briskets recently and chopped up some of the point meat which was a little too soft for slicing. These briskets were seasoned with SPOG and cooked on my Shirley.

I didn't want the sauce used for the meat to be straight barbecue sauce, nor straight chile sauce, so I tried a mix of the two.

I used barbecue sauce from one of my favorite old school KC BBQ joints, Fiorella's Jack Stack, which is more the traditional tomato vinegar, less sweet flavor profile you'd expect from an original KC BBQ sauce. I mixed the chile puree and the BBQ sauce together until I found a balance where neither ingredient overpowered the other then stirred it into the chopped brisket.

I mixed beef stock, lard, and a small amount of reserved chile sauce into the masa and worked it until it was the right consistency. I may try tallow next time, but pork fat and beef do work so well together.

Then I spread the masa onto a corn husk and spooned a healthy amount of meat into the middle

Into the steamer pot for about 1 hr 45 mins

Once the corn husk peels away from the tamale cleanly, they're done

I've helped make the traditional tamales before, but this was my first go at prepping the masa and saucing the meat myself. They came out excellent...very moist, the chile sauce + BBQ sauce fusion worked perfectly, and the smokey saltiness of the meat still showed through. I'll definitely be making a larger batch of these in the near future. Thanks for lookin' :thumb:

Love it!

Jackstack does a bbq sauce/salsa mix that they serve with their baked potatoes, which was my go-to. I can envision just how this worked out, and love the fusion.

Those look great, Neal! I'll take two buckets to go. :thumb:

P.S. Did you cover them with a chile sauce for serving, as is often done with tamales, or go au naturael?

Those look great, Neal! I'll take two buckets to go. :thumb:

P.S. Did you cover them with a chile sauce for serving, as is often done with tamales, or go au naturael?

I havent really made a meal out of them yet, just some late night samples. I'm not sure which direction I'll go with it. Still need to create a TD worthy plated pic. :thumb:

Last edited:
Nothing beats fresh, homemade meals and that one is completely over the top! Very creative and well executed!

Back