Meatloaf -- with sage?

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Found this whilst The Bride is laughing out loud at Hot In Cleveland binge.
Sage in meatloaf, don't think I've ever done that, and I've thrown all fridge shelves and holding drawers into my Loaf's. ML is the perfect MSU cook. But this is so simplified. I have an Italian friend who I got buzzed while we cooked out. Unfortunately I was buzzed too, but he did mention the milk soaked bread for his Momma's meatballs. A closely held family secret pried away by multiple Shiner's. I recall Oregano but not sage. Had I not been buzzed I may could recall. I like Shiner.

Last edited:
All-in for oregano and/or basil in beef meatloaf.

Throwing sage in would require pork IMO.

Don't you put pork in your meatloaf? It is "meat" after all. My meatloaf and my chili contain pork. Although I've never put sage in my meatloaf. Nor my chili.

I'm not very knowledgeable with various herbs and their usage. But lately I have been trying to fix that by heavy experimentation.

Previous to my mad scientist experiments, I thought Sage was only used for breakfast sausage and turkey stuffing mix...because that is the "popular wisdom", and who am I to challenge generations of wisdom, passed down from our ancestors?

But I have learned that every herb and spice has it's place.

As long as I understand what it brings to the table, and how it interacts with my other spices and the food I am cooking, I am willing to try it.

It all comes down to what your end game is with that particular cook, and your knowledge of how a given spice will affect the final product.

There is no right or wrong.

The only metric that matters is "is this awesome, or does it suck?"

I would like to encourage all of us to experiment, and think outside the box.

Having said all that: I have used Sage along with other herbs in a meatloaf, and it didn't suck. Although it could have been better if I had adjusted the rest of the recipe to account for what that herb brought to the mix.

I take all recipes as just a rough guideline.

I look at what they are doing and think, "Do I want that flavor in my current dish? Will it add or detract from what I am trying to achieve?"

Pretty sure that’s for warding off evil spirits, cornbread dressing, and pork sausage, not meatloaf.

Most dishes turn out quite edible using the Simon & Garfunkel method. I'm sure sage in this small amount is hidden way back in the flavor somewhere. Way back, but there

Recipe I use (was my Grandma's recipe) has a small amount of sage in it. But, her recipe was also 2 to 1 beef to pork. She said back in the day sometimes pork was added to recipes because it was cheaper than beef.

Back