THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm smoking a brisket this weekend and will have to get the brisket at another store (don't even know if they have packers much less for a good price)

They have butcher paper which I'm out and also have meat tenderizers (jaccard). After much research I really think a slather thin enough can absorb into the holes and using 50/50 kosher salt and course black pepper conservatively from a shaker I have.

I was thinking Frank's red hot sauce. it's thin, has simple ingredients and the vinegar/cayenne in it should be in interesting flavor. I use it for hot wings and fried chicken and dipping. Or should I go for Worchester sauce (L&Ps) and also have some Dale's seasoning which is similar to Moore's and similar to Worchester except has different ingredients like a fruit in it and needs to be refrigerated.

Any thoughts on using a tenderizer or is it a waste? Thanks.

I only use smoke, heat, and time to tenderize brisket.

I have been known to have round-steak tenderized for Sicilian steak, or use a tenderizing marinade for london broil.

I've heard of folks putting rub on a brisket then use the jaccard to get the rub down into the meat for flavor, but like the fine cook said before me, a properly cooked brisket will be tender on it's own.

Nothing wrong with experimenting though!

I like the Jaccard on certain cuts of steak, but never used it on a brisket, and don't really see why you would need to. I don't think it would be as useful for getting a marinade to penetrate, as time. Just season the night before.

None of the stuff you listed I would put on a brisket. Salt and pepper at the least, Bolner's brisket rub for a little more flavor, then let that sucker smoke and cook till around 190 then start checking it for tenderness. Red butcher paper is optional and something I use myself after about 5-6 hours of smoke.

I jaccard a lot of stuff as well, but not my briskets for reasons already mentioned.

I'm using time, heat, smoke, steam etc. to get my brisket to the desired tenderness whereas if I was direct-heat cooking a lesser piece of meat that would benefit from a jaccard I would use it like flank steak for instance.

I do inject all of my briskets, but I also compete. I'm not sure I'd even inject if it weren't for my competition mindset.

Back