Meat dimensions and rack spacing on Assassin

caltuckian

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Ron
I'm looking at pulling the trigger on an Assassin 17 or 24 (analysis paralysis), and I want to add extra rack runners. My question is: what is the 'average' vertical height of a butt, brisket, and ribs? (Wish I had some in the fridge that I could measure)

I'm trying to figure out if I should add one additional runner and equaly space them (4.5" clearance), double the amount (so that I could do 3" if I want to do silly # of wings, or 6" for everything else), or some other odd combination of spacing. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, first post!

Give Jeff a call. He will put as many runners in as you want and can help you determine the best configuration for you.

Welcome to the Brethren! Also, congrats on nearing a really big purchase. I am just a little jealous...ok, maybe a lot.

Analysis paralysis--love this phrase--and went thru it! Spent about 9 months trying to decide on which IVC and finally narrowed it down to the LSG mini...then a Shirley 24X36 fell into my lap!

Wouldn't want less than 5" for a brisket or pork butt. I see the Assassin 24 has 2 shelfs which are only 4" apart. You could still take one shelf out of the 24 and still get 3 big briskets or 12 pork butts at one time--that's alot of meat! Do you see yourself ever cooking this much? For $600 more the 24 seems like a great deal with the extra shelf and wider shelfs. You could use the top 2 shelfs for brisket or butts and still cook six racks of ribs or tons of wings/thighs on the lower 2 shelfs. Maybe add an extra shelf when you want to cook that silly amount of wings/ribs for the neighborhood!

Hear nothing but great things about Assassin's. Good luck with your choice!

Back