Meat blade tenderizer on brisket

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm having issues with attachments on this site only could post 3 pics.

I recently purchased a meat blade tenderizer. Tried it on a skirt steak with worsesthire and was awesome flavor. Went bold for the brisket and tried Frank's red hot. It's thin, has simple ingredients. Was hoping to get cayenne flavor at the end but didn't taste it. Since the blades stuck in the brisket and would take forever I held it down and with my other hand out of the way for safety stabbed it all over, meat side only.

I poured the red hot and pushed it down into the holes and wanted to see what happened if I left it in my bus tub overnight in fridge. The brisket in the morning turned into a reddish color which was fascinating. All my Q normally is 50/50 kosher salt and course black pepper. I sprinkled it on before putting it in the wsm fat side down.

Used post oak chunks below the grate, this gives a constant wood smoke with the hot ash sprinkling down. When done, the wood usually turns to near ash.

Cooking wise thought would be quicker with all the holes input in but about 6 hours at 250, wwrapped in paper for 3 more hours until probe tender, rested in warmed oven 2 hours.

Verdict- the smoke ring was intense and the red hot produced a deep color over 1/2 inch in the meat. the meat side had good bark, was very tender at top. Tasted no hot sauce/cayenne flavor, turned into something else I cannot describe and nor did it add any heat. The bites were clean and tasty, could not really see the holes either. Whether I do this again I will try one more time. Thinking about a simple condiment or marinade that will produce an enhanced flavor such as Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar or pineapple juice.

Attachments

• 20181214_145153.jpg
    20181214_145153.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20181214_145436.jpg
    20181214_145436.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20181215_210959.jpg
    20181215_210959.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 49
That looks like a nicely cooked brisket. :thumb: I think you might have an easier time doing an injection than blade tenderizing and hoping the flavors sink into the holes though, and I personally don't think brisket needs any tenderizing other than rendering of the collagen during the cooking process. Trying new things is always fun though.

Back