Meadow Creek BX50 first cook

from my understanding its paint...not powder

there is no reason for paint inside the firebox or cook chamber.....none. Paint will burn in the firebox during the first few burns. Paint over spray in the cook chamber is just laziness

I'm going to revisit theis thread.
I have done a few more cooks on it and it's working great. I did have some condensation buildup on top of the door which leaked down the outside of the door but other than that no complaints. Just a reminder that I should have bought the black one!
So with 20lbs at 230-250degrees I'm burning for 12 hours, these are with temps below or just above freezing outside. She drinks about a gallon of water a hour so about halfway through you have to start watching the water level. I haven't had a need to go longer than 12 hours yet but plan on doing a pair of packers on Saturday.
I will take lots of pictures and document everything!

All in loll I am very happy with the cooker!

Was curious any measured temp differences side to side and top to bottom.
Not critical as everything I cook with has variances, but would speak to flow inside the cooker as well as insulation, etc.
Any real advantage/disadvantage to basic tray feeding like this or a gravity feed smoker? Say like a Stumps or Superior?
Just close the the vents, kill the fire when done and reuse the unburned fuel? Would you always gook with water?
Easy enough to move around?

I like the Meadow Creek is close by and I wouldn't have to ship.

Was curious any measured temp differences side to side and top to bottom.
Not critical as everything I cook with has variances, but would speak to flow inside the cooker as well as insulation, etc.
Any real advantage/disadvantage to basic tray feeding like this or a gravity feed smoker? Say like a Stumps or Superior?
Just close the the vents, kill the fire when done and reuse the unburned fuel? Would you always gook with water?
Easy enough to move around?

I like the Meadow Creek is close by and I wouldn't have to ship.

With the water pan fed I don't notice a big difference between top and bottom. Never really checked side to side but I will tomorrow.
With 20lbs. I get a good 12 +hours cook time so I don't really have a need to re-feed it. The fire box is heavy and should have a handle on it. I've never used a gravity fed so I can't compare I do know the bx50 needs very little tending.
I did use the guru once and found it to be much less efficient which is odd.
I've never used it without water but at some point I will give it a shot.

It's downfall is it's very large and very heavy like 600lbs. The small wheels should be larger in fact it should have four pneumatic tires. It's not easy to move around and I can't see it being moveable by myself if it's not on a paved surface.

Jeff, I bought the Meadow Creek BX50 as well. It cooks very good. I'm doing some butts on it now. I order the BBQ Guru CyberQ which I don't have yet. So far playing it by ear its cooking easily at 250 degrees with only one damper open. I won't lie... Meadow Creek smokers are pricey but this isn't my first pit. I have a Bubba Grill 500 Gallon tank smoker. I think Meadow Creek's use of new steel and tight seems is key to the price. I can easily control my temperature for long periods of time in the BX50. After cooking on smokers for years the thing that matters to me now is getting some sleep when I smoke the butts. Cheaper smokers do run as long ... so you save money by going cheaper but you lose out on time and sleep.

I love this BX50 and I have a water cooler tank on it. It takes a long time before it runs out of water. I also noticed that once the water in the tank gets heated up then the pit holds its temperature better.

Jeff, I bought mine from Galvinell Meat Company and BBQ Store too in Conowingo, MD. Dan the owner is a real nice guy.

Back