May have found a way to keep produce fresher longer.

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
This short video made sense to me so I ordered some. The blue apples arrived today. New bunch of bananas normally lasts 7 days at home. Blue apple claims 14 days or longer. Going to put it to the test starting today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12R_3aUxl7s

Pardon me. I posted the wrong YT link. It's corrected now.

yEV9SkA.jpg

4epIY6C.jpg

I'll report back on progress.

Last edited:
OK. I gotta ask the awkward question.

Why not just buy what you need for using fresh? Is Shreveport a wasteland for fresh produce?

On a similar but different note you can make lettuce last a LOT longer if you vacuum seal it in jars. We'll cut up a head into salad size pieces and use a sealing attachment for a mason jar. The lettuce stays rust free for well over 2 weeks. You need to re-seal after opening each time.

Looking forward to the Blue Apple results.

Soak your fruit (especially berries) in vinegar for 10 minutes and rinse them. They last way longer as the vinegar kills the mold spores.

Organic bananas are only like $.20 more per lb and last a long time.

Since our store alawys sells green onions in two packs, it always ends up with waste.
Saw a hack that reported if you wrap green onions in a wet paper towel and then alum. foil it will last quite a bit longer. Tried it and was pleased that they lasted a good 14 days and would have gone longer had I not used them up.
Ed

Carbon dioxide inhibits ethylene production and that also keeps produce fresh. For instance, if you have a bag of leftover salad, if you squeeze the air out of the bag, then take a deep breath and slowly exhale into the bag of salad, you will find that salad will last a lot longer without wilting or going slimy. Sounds a bit disgusting I know, but it works.

Saw a hack that reported if you wrap green onions in a wet paper towel and then alum. foil it will last quite a bit longer.
I read that you should wrap in a dry paper towel. I've tried and it works. Dill, parsley, cilantro, green onion... Maybe only for leafy greens. :noidea:

Carbon dioxide inhibits ethylene production and that also keeps produce fresh. For instance, if you have a bag of leftover salad, if you squeeze the air out of the bag, then take a deep breath and slowly exhale into the bag of salad, you will find that salad will last a lot longer without wilting or going slimy. Sounds a bit disgusting I know, but it works.

I thought it's carbon monoxide. Like what Wal-Mart injects into their meat package to keep it red longer. It can spoil but be red like new.

I have never seen anyone put bananas in a fridge.

If anyone watched the video all the way, It does not have to be the fridge. Guy was using an encloser. A glass bowl with lid. We did not have anything large enough. So, into the fruit bin. Also did you see what he said about peeling a banana. Got to try it.

Day 2 photo. Well I'm finding out this is not a very scientific experiment, this is LuzziAnn's refrigerator. So after I took the photo in post #1 LA put a banana she had on the counter in and a sack of salad. This is HER fridge, I'm just a guest. I'm just allowed my smaller beer box. I'll just keep an eye on the new bunch although she ate one today. No appreciation for science. :tsk:

0biaGDT.jpg

Back