THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

churrodog

Full Fledged Farker
New guy around here, figured I would post my setup. I have been at this for what feels like a couple of months but amounts to almost a year now. I really like this cheap cabinet for what it is and a few of the things I have done really seem to make it easier to operate.

Started off by placing a cast iron skillet on top of the original chip pan like most advise. This worked out well, but I found that the skillet really benefited from three more 1/2" drilled out holes in the chip pan between the slots that it already has. Allows more fire and heat to get to the skillet. Also added some nuts and bolts to the feet of the chip pan to raise it up some and allow better heat into the smoker while spacing the skillet a little more distance. This combo allows my chunks to last about 1-1.5 hours.

Used the stock water pan for a while but it never held enough water to last through even a rib cook. Went to a restaurant supply store and found a serving pan that was what I think the perfect size for the cabinet. I keep it pushed toward the back a little so the smoke rolls around the front of it before trying to make it's way out of the back top exit exhaust. It catches all of the drippings, which is huge in this smoker because it's not made out of the best metals and lends to rust fairly easily on the bottom.

A few pics of my setup and my real question in the second post.

DPP_1291_zpsig5jteqz.jpg

3ca97d01-ed39-4021-a0be-ee139ab38795_zpsms8qwose.jpg

2015-06-18%2018.58.04_zpscyhqupp3.jpg

DPP_2289_zpsscbzuvqk.jpg

So, on to my question. With the water pan in a vertical cabinet, is the water meant to boil throughout the cook? I had been lining my pan with foil to make for easier cleanup, but about 8 hours in to my last cook the water started boiling and the foil created some air space between the pan so that it was floating in the water a little. I removed the foil completely and the water continued to percolate through the rest of the cook. This was at 240 or so.

I just haven't experienced this during my other rib cooks or the first several hours of my butt cooks. It's not really an issue other than not wanting to use foil if it's going to happen, just want to know if I should be lowering the pan to make it do this more or not worry about it either way. I get plenty of steam and it seems to use up plenty of the water over time.

the water continued to percolate through the rest of the cook. This was at 240 or so.

When I was in Mrs Fredricks second grade science class back in '65 sittin behind my future 1st ex wife Miss Sally we learnt that water boils at 212 deg F :doh: Propane is a moist heat I'd nix the water altogether and run a dry pan.

Just need to know if the boiling is what it is meant to do or if the steam created below that point is fine. If it needs to be hotter I can crank it up higher for a longer period before throwing on the meat.

Haven't tried it too much yet without the water. Figured it never hurt anything to have some in there.

Water mostly helps create more even stable temps - atleast in my experiences. I run water pans in all my smokers - many don't - you will just have to experiment and see what you like Best. Water pans do little to help with moisture in meat.

Water mostly helps create more even stable temps - atleast in my experiences. I run water pans in all my smokers - many don't - you will just have to experiment and see what you like Best. Water pans do little to help with moisture in meat.

When I have used it without water it does seem to climb and bounce around differently.

Would running without it help me create more crust on my bark?

What's the best way to experiment with this, fill it with play sand and cover in foil?

Sand or clay cat litter - wrapping in foil will kill Bark more than anything.

My last cook I did two butts, one wrapped and tried to do the other without wrapping but eventually gave in at 10:30pm after 14.5 hours it got wrapped and went in the oven. Finished at around 2:30am. It was a fat one, so maybe I should try smaller for the next test.

Bark was better for sure but even though I'm familiar with the cooker I don't feel great leaving propane on the wood deck while I sleep.

Does the propane have a different effect on the color than charcoal and wood? I am shooting for an almost black but seem to be getting more redish.

Of course, I feel like I'm trying to chase what I am used to in Alabama BBQ, which is open hickory pits and gives a great hard crust. My favorite spots are the ones that will serve outside sliced. I think they are achieving that at a lot higher temps though. Gonna make a separate thread for this topic though.

I've never smoked on propane - just grilled. Rubs make a difference in Bark too. If you wrap to speed cook put back on unwrapped for 45-1 hr at the end of to firm up the Bark. I just cook Hotter -around 300* mostly -and usually go Nekid full cook.

I've never smoked on propane - just grilled. Rubs make a difference in Bark too. If you wrap to speed cook put back on unwrapped for 45-1 hr at the end of to firm up the Bark. I just cook Hotter -around 300* mostly -and usually go Nekid full cook.

Thanks for your input. This thing will definitely get hotter without the water so I may try that next time.

I do have to replenish the water a cpl times during a cook on all my smokers. I have tried without water pans and temps were unstable and run away sometimes so I use water pans and don't have problems- some will say it's a crutch but I don't give a Chit - my Q is Good. :mrgreen:

Back