Marinated, Smoked and Grilled High Heat Hot Wings

Taylormade

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Scott
It's been too long since I cooked wings at home so I decided it was time. I marinated with my go-to, Conchita Mojo Criollo mixed with a little bit of Carolina Treet... 75/25 ratio in favor of Conchita.
IMG-3917.jpg

Due to a scheduling snafu, the wings sat in said marinade for 24 hours instead of 4. Nevertheless, I put them on the pit at 250 with a 50/50 mix of Killer Hog's AP rub and Oakridge's Habanero Death Dust for a hour and a half.

IMG-3921.jpg

This was a good chance to break in my newly welded charcoal maze. The wife had plenty of chores for me tonight so I couldn't tend to the fire as often. I loaded the maze up with Royal Oak briquettes ($4 a bag at Lowe's, thank you) and Royal Oak Lump with some Sweet Maple and Live Oak chunks mixed in.

IMG-3925.jpg

This was a great time to sit in the back of the Ranger and give this beautiful girl all the head pats.

IMG-3926.jpg

Alright so after almost two hours of smoke, it was time to pull them and get them sauced up. For sauce I went high heat. I like my heat to have flavor however, so I didn't go "stupid hot."

I mixed up equal parts of Crystal hot sauce, Walkerswood Jonkanoo Pepper Sauce, Walkerswood Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce, Pain is Good Habanero Pepper Sauce, and good old fashioned Carolina Treet with some Papa John's Garlic butter because I didn't have time to melt butter and chop up garlic.

IMG-3928.jpg

I took 'em to the propane grill and preheat it to 400 degrees and dropped the wings on it.

IMG-3929.jpg

After about 10 minutes and a few flips, here's the final result. The wife was cooking sweet potato fries in the air fryer but I didn't get any pics of them because... well because there were wings to be eaten.

IMG-3930.jpg

Those are some great looking WINGS!! How did the maze work out? I am thinking of getting a welder again (been 10 years since i had one) and making one and a charcoal basket for my offset, and some for my kettles.... dang i guess i need one!

Those are some great looking WINGS!! How did the maze work out? I am thinking of getting a welder again (been 10 years since i had one) and making one and a charcoal basket for my offset, and some for my kettles.... dang i guess i need one!

The maze worked out really well for it being the first use, I just needed a considerable amount more fuel in it. The pic above is after I tossed in a lot more because it wasn't getting up to temp. I started with the charcoal basket about halfway filled and ended up with it about 3/4 of the way. Normally I'd never have finished them on the gasser, but it wasn't getting above 250.

The other REALLY dumb thing I did is mis-orient the maze. If I'd started it the other way, I'd be able to use my propane-assist to light the basket!

IMG-3919.jpg

I can still use it now but I'd be essentially starting 40% of it all at the same time. I could (and might) cut the bottom off, flip it over and put a new bottom on but we'll see how often I use it first. Overall it's a success for sure! I really liked being able to light it and walk away for 30-45 minutes at a time.

As for welding, I can only say I absolutely need one. I'm fabricating and adding things to my trailer smoker all the time. In fact, just today I'll be welding on two trailer receivers for some modular attachments (umbrella holder, portable table that I'm also welding, etc). I added utensil and paper towel holders over the weekend, I'm adding a shelf under the smoker soon as well.

I'm planning on building a section of that same trailer to be modular in that I can drop in my Blackstone, a 3 sink set up, or another grill as needed depending on my situation/requirements. I'm also thinking of tacking on four sections of square tubing onto the frame of the trailer to be able to slide the 10x10 EZ-Up into so I don't have to fumble with rigging ways to keep it in place on different surfaces. Then, of course, there's the two charcoal mazes I made for each of the smokers.

These small projects alone would have cost over $750 easily had I paid someone to do them. I bought a Lincoln ProMig 135 used about four years back for $150 and I probably have another $100 or so in safety gear/tools. I can say I have gotten my money back 10x.

Hey thanks Marty! I figured out what I did to screw up the orientation of them (argh, I screwed up BOTH)... on my trailer pit, the gas assist is on the left where on the patio pit it's on the right. I screwed them up royally lol. Unfortunately, the trailer pit maze is 25% bigger than the patio so I can't just swap em. Oh well, I have a chimney starter as well as a weed burner for when I need to use them.

Back