Maple Leaf Charcoal Briquettes review

Petee_c

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm only in my 3rd year of seasonal smoking /grilling with charcoal so take this with a grain of salt.

I purchased this product back in the spring when I was having difficulties finding my go to charcoal lump - Basque's Nature's own.

065997001089.jpg

I've used about 3/4 of a bag of it on a handful of cooks. couple meals of burgers, 1 dinner of pork chops and a couple meatloaf cooks. All of it on 22" OTS grills.

I believe partly used briquettes are more delicate than lump after they've been burned once, but I was able to using my fingers pick up cold used briquettes and put them back into the chimney for a 2nd light on a few different occassions. I maybe able to get a 3rd light on them, but when I was going to try that, I openned the kettle to find out that I forgot to close the top vent on the lid, and the briquettes were pretty much used up.

Reusing charcoal is important from a cost savings to me, as most of my weeknight cooks are relatively short. Frozen burger patties from the grocery store, or 1/2"-3/4" thick pork chops seem to be our goto if we are grilling on a weekday.

Ash production is more than lump, but not as much as my experience with KBB. Acceptable for the OTS for sure with the cleaning vanes. Might be an issue more so on the Weber Jumbo Jo as the ash area below the charcoal grill is smaller, and harder to clear mid cook.

I may try it on my UDS, but I am happy with how lump performs there. The low ash of lump really helps as my experience with KBB in it tends to be that the ash from those briquettes will have a tendancy to snuff out the flame unless you can rock or tap the UDS a couple hours into the cook.

I've lit the briquette's in a weber and slightly smaller off brand chimney. They light well, with no chemical smell. When lighting with crumpled newspaper, there is a bit smoke for the 1st minute or so, but it quickly goes away.

I do like to use the side burner on the propane bbq to start the charcoal. It's there, and the paper ash from a few sheets of newspaper can get annoying, especially if you fan the grill to speed up the fire. My initial thoughts are there is less smoke when using the propane burner. Like you've figured out, there is enough heat there after a couple minutes, you can shut off the propane after 2-3 mins.

I've only used a couple bags of KBB and 1 bag of RO (orange/red bag) of briq before, so I don't have loads of experience. However, when rearranging lit coals with tongs, you need to be gentle as they seem to break apart fairly easy.

I've got about 1/2 bag here at home and 3/4 bag at the cottage. I'll try a snake and likely a pork butt next. I'll report my results and impressions as I go through the remaining briquettes.

Back