THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having your own chapter or division with its own governing group of officers but operating under the umbrella of an existing organization makes start up easier.
The framework is already there and each group can handle their own regional issues, have some good rivalry, but you don't have to create your own organization structure.

I agree with you! Goal is to use the rules already established by the Fairbanks association. Made a request to have a southern branch, but was told they are not ready for this. So I can either wait around until they are ready or do my own thing. Guess which direction I am going?

troy

Have you considered sanctioning of contests? Who would do it? Here in the northeast, the New England Barbecue Society helps to promote the hobby, support contest organizers, and give local teams an outlet for networking and discussions. What NEBS doesn't do is sanction BBQ events. .

Again maybe I am using the wrong words. What your society does is what I want to do. Just want to organize, promote, support the art of BBQ. don't want to be sanctioning events etc....

troy

What would be the point of having 2 BBQ associations in the same state?

Good question!!! Just think about Texas (not NEARLY as large as Alaska) with:
Texas Gulf Coast Barbecue Cookers Association
Central Texas Barbecue Association
Loan Star Barbecue Society
North Texas Area BBQ Cookers Association
International Barbeque Cookers Association
Blackland BBQ Association (BBBQA)
Panhandle BBQ Assn (PHBA)
Pineywoods BBQ Association (PWBA)
Rio Grande Barbeque Association (RGBA)
South Texas BBQ Association (STBA)
Texas BBQ Association (TXBA)
Third Coast BBQ Association (TCBA)
Western States BBQ Association (WSBA)

Just to name a few...

Granted, there are more BBQers in Texas than Alaska, but why not have more than one association/organization.

Here in North Carolina we have competitions sanctioned by KCBS, MBN, the North Carolina Pork Council (NCPC), and the North Carolina Barbecue Society (NCBS), along with several "un-sanctioned" events; however, we only have one "society" - the NCBS.

As far as the "name" of the new organization, I like pretty much all of the ones you delineated, with "Midnight Sun Barbecue Association" as my personal favorite.

I like Last Frontier BBQ Association, although the Great Northwest idea sounds cool too.

Back