THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

polishdon

Full Fledged Farker
Started with a 10 lb pork belly, cut it in half.Cured half in a honey cure, the other half got a real maple syrup cure.

After a week in the cure I pulled it out, rinsed it off and let it sit open in the fridge over night. Then hit it with Big Ron's Hint of Houston rub and this is what I was working with:
2013-04-16150118.jpg

Set up my WSM for cold smoking with apple wood:
2013-04-16150956.jpg

Smoked it the first four hours at 100 degrees or less:
2013-04-16151432.jpg

Then bumped up the temp to around 200 for the last 5 hours and this was the result:
2013-04-17003453.jpg

2013-04-17003424.jpg

Wrapped it up, let it sit in the fridge over night, then sliced it up.
2013-04-17181335.jpg

Bacon!!!
2013-04-17182410.jpg

Tastes great, so much meatier than store bought, gotta fry it up on a little lower temp because of all the sugar in the cure, but I will definitely be doing this again.

wow looks amazing. I wanna try bacon next but the pork belly I'm seeing around here is mostly fat :(

That looks awesome, polishdon!

Quick question: any tips for how you kept your WSM temp so low consistently? I find my WSM tends to turn rather warm where I am (NorCal).

That looks great. I've run into the same problem with the outside edges burning from the sugars in the cure when I'm frying it. I haven't tried a lower temp as I was afraid it wouldn't get crispy. Let us know how it turns out. There is nothing like having a freezer full of bacon whenever you want it.

That looks great I gotta try that soon. In our house we bake our bacon. My wife has a pampered chef stone with sides we bake it at 450* for about 15 minutes comes out nice and crispy. It might help with the burning part.

Google "Baking bacon"
I think it was something like a oven at 425, bacon on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for 15/20 mins. Best way to cook.

NUTZ

That looks awesome, polishdon!

Quick question: any tips for how you kept your WSM temp so low consistently? I find my WSM tends to turn rather warm where I am (NorCal).

I use that fire brick set up and only burn 5 or 6 briquettes at a time, adding more as needed. It was also only around 40 degrees here the day I smoked it.

Back