THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scotts Winterizer. :) makes it only look alive.. and alot of rain the past few weeks.

Another strategy for wood scrounging

I've got a farmer friend who also splits and sell cord wood. He sells it for about $40 a face cord last time I checked. In the process of splitting logs the right length, he generates much scrap that is well suited for fueling my smoker. I can get this scrap for free but I drop him off a chicken or something now and then just because it's the right thing to do.

PS: My smoker has never seen any purchased wood let alone "lump" or a charcoal briquette.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Wait a minute... this is SCRAP wood from stuff they cut down and would just chip anyway to haul to the dump and they're CHARGING you to take it and not have to do the labor to chip and get rid of it? Am I missing something here because to me, $40 doesn't seem like such a good deal. Compared to buying it commercially, yeah, but seems you're doing them a favor by just taking it in the first place.

I guess you've never had to pay for fill dirt either.....after all, It's just dirt some guy dug out of the ground......

Sometimes you get lucky(free), sometimes you pay a VERY fair price(40 bucks).

G$ said:
I guess you've never had to pay for fill dirt either.....after all, It's just dirt some guy dug out of the ground......

Sometimes you get lucky(free), sometimes you pay a VERY fair price(40 bucks).

I've tried to explain that to my wife....

My last batch of oak came from my neighbor's tree trimming. I happened to stop by the house in the middle of the day and saw them out there...the neighbor came out and rounded up the supervisor...they left me a stack of nice 4-6" oak limbs and when I asked about the stuff they were chipping...they neatly stacked a load of mulch on a tarp in my front yard.

Sometimes all you have to do is ask...I turned down a load of oak a few months ago because I just don't have a place to put any more wood right now.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Wait a minute... this is SCRAP wood from stuff they cut down and would just chip anyway to haul to the dump and they're CHARGING you to take it and not have to do the labor to chip and get rid of it? Am I missing something here because to me, $40 doesn't seem like such a good deal. Compared to buying it commercially, yeah, but seems you're doing them a favor by just taking it in the first place.

Sometimes you a Dillweed.

brdbbq said:
Sometimes you a Dillweed.

LMAO.

Jeff- you just didn't get the post. The tree guy went out of his way to bring fruit wood to Phil. It would have easier for him to chip it and chuck it, but he kept it seperate and delivered it. Sounds to me like the $40 is money well spent.

Buy some fruit wood from me sometime and see what I charge you!! You will be happy to pay the $40.00 next time. Don't forget, it has a Spicewine Sticker on it:twisted:

Jeff_in_KC said:

One man's scrap is another man's treasure.....40.00 is for the gas and time, not the wood.......you bought any gas lately? 2.25 a gallon here.....

Geez Jeff, sdometiwmes yeou juest abmaze me.

I found my wood man because he had a sign saying firewood for sale. I live near Kentucky Lake and go there a lot. This guy was selling firewood for people that camped and I stoped by to talk to him, he now sells me all the hickory and oak I need at $30 a rick. That's a full pick up full of wood. I go there and fill my truck up and bring it home.

Another way I've found to pick up other wood is to help older women in their lawn work. This woman lives down the road from me and I've helped her out with some of her harder lawn work. Last fall she asked me if I would cut down 5 fully mature apple trees and haul them off. She paid me $250 and I hauled them right into my back yard.:cool:

The top of those trees were about 25 feet high, she never trimed them.

There's a couple other women I know who has several different furit trees and you can bet I'm going to try to trim or cut them down soon.

Wildcat said:
I found my wood man because he had a sign saying firewood for sale.

Thank you captain obvious. Your whole post is too true. At least where I live, all it takes is a real interest in helping your neighbor and having a truck and a saw. Except hickory and pecan don't grow here. Got a lot of fruitwood though.

I think I'm gonna pull out the phone book and call a tree trimming service and see what type of response I get..Hopefully not Phil's though...don't want to cut off his supply. I'm still glad he told me about Prianti Farms. I still wish I knew how to fully identify each wood.. They just loaded up my car... I have no idea what I'm burning but it's tastes the same as what I was getting online when I was specifically ordering oak, hickory and apple woods.

BrooklynQ said:
LMAO.

Jeff- you just didn't get the post. The tree guy went out of his way to bring fruit wood to Phil. It would have easier for him to chip it and chuck it, but he kept it seperate and delivered it. Sounds to me like the $40 is money well spent.

OK I read it at work today when I was probably too busy to be online. I get it now. Yes, that was worth $40.

Back