THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Pit Boss has not exploded yet but I did have flame travel up the auger tube. I had another cooker going because of the number of ribs I had to cook. Moved Pit boss ribs over and cleaned all the pellets out cleaned the burn cup and restarted. It was a little exciting to see more smoke coming out of the hopper than was coming out of the stack.
I don't wander far when cooking on anything after a lesson years ago. Anyone else ever try to cook a butt on a gas grill with lava rocks. Lucky the aluminum hood on the grill did not melt.

Another added tip to help prevent Burn Back smoke and fires in Pellet Grills... Along with using a Shop Vac to vacuum excessive Pellet Dust from the pellet hopper, it’s also a good idea after every 4-5 cooks is to prime/clear out the Auger tube of pellets and then Shop Vac the Auger tube of excessive pellet dust that may have accumulated inside of it. Like Pellets, pellet dust can easily ignite and burn... and when there’s pellet dust in the Auger tube, that’s just added fuel for a possible Burn Back situation to occur. And No One wants that to happen. Just to be clear, Pellet Ash.. can and will smother a flame and is the residual of burnt pellets. Pellet dust is unburnt residual from fresh pellets that can and is very flammable. Use a Shop Vac to remove both and your Pellet Grill experience will be more enjoyable, trouble free and most importantly safer. Good luck.

Pellet pooper operators please take notes of all the above lest you wind up like Bob Hope in Paleface: The sun's up tall so lean to the west...he squats to his left so shoot down low...he's east of his right so shoot at what's left...

I don't care what I'm cooking on I'm not leaving the property. I use an old maverick with alarms set to notify me of any crazy temps up or down. I wouldn't even leave the oven on if I wasn't home. I know...toooo paranoid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ive had a few on my no name pellet grill. Like others have said, always start with a clean burn pot, make sure the fire is going before you close the lid.

I also now smoke around 275 instead of 225. The higher temps cooks have been debated to death but for years I was stuck on 225. 275 is cheaper, better, faster and less likely to go out.

Looking back I had warning signs with my pellet grill and kamado when I tried to do 225 but had to learn the hard way to move past the holy Grail of bbq temps that had been drilled into my head at and early age.

I don't care what I'm cooking on I'm not leaving the property. I use an old maverick with alarms set to notify me of any crazy temps up or down. I wouldn't even leave the oven on if I wasn't home. I know...toooo paranoid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nothing is set it and forget it and my world... may be “set it and have very little to do to keep it running” but I don’t just assume nothing will go wrong, that a shift in wind won’t change temps, that technology won’t fail, that a stray ember might make its way out.

Back