THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One odd thing I found from my first cook was smoke flavor. While running, the smoke out of the Mak smelled wonderful. The CSRs themselves however give off only the faintest hint of smoke (they have a nice smoke ring though). Taste wise the CSRs could've come out of my oven. I'd think after 3 hours on the smoke setting and 2.5-3 at 225 they'd have more smoke flavor.

Now I'm wondering, are the Bear Mountain pellets the issue? Does the grill need more seasoning (does that make sense)? I have a different brand of pellet ordered and will give those a spin when I finish the rest of the Bear Mountain hickories the grill came with.

One odd thing I found from my first cook was smoke flavor. While running, the smoke out of the Mak smelled wonderful. The CSRs themselves however give off only the faintest hint of smoke (they have a nice smoke ring though). Taste wise the CSRs could've come out of my oven. I'd think after 3 hours on the smoke setting and 2.5-3 at 225 they'd have more smoke flavor.

Now I'm wondering, are the Bear Mountain pellets the issue? Does the grill need more seasoning (does that make sense)? I have a different brand of pellet ordered and will give those a spin when I finish the rest of the Bear Mountain hickories the grill came with.
You may need to try mesquite pellets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What have you been cooking on up to this point? When I first went from charcoal/chunks to sticks and then pellets, there was definitely a noticeable difference. A clean burning stick burner and a pellet grill will not impart the same flavor profile of charcoal/chunks. It took me a few cooks to adjust, but it happened rather quickly and I soon found my enjoyment of charcoal/chunks quickly diminish. That was my experience. As pjtexas suggested, you may want to try 100% mesquite, or add a smoke tube for the cuts of meat where you want the additional smoke.

early start today

cXr7n6Rh.jpg

wUckToOh.jpg

mdv21SOh.jpg

SHOvXGHh.jpg

6HzElLkh.jpg

beef and pork ribs are finishing up

You may need to try mesquite pellets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That flavor is fine for fast cooks IMO but I wouldn't want it for low/slow.

What have you been cooking on up to this point? When I first went from charcoal/chunks to sticks and then pellets, there was definitely a noticeable difference. A clean burning stick burner and a pellet grill will not impart the same flavor profile of charcoal/chunks. It took me a few cooks to adjust, but it happened rather quickly and I soon found my enjoyment of charcoal/chunks quickly diminish. That was my experience. As pjtexas suggested, you may want to try 100% mesquite, or add a smoke tube for the cuts of meat where you want the additional smoke.

WSM > BGE > LSG offset. Interesting about adjusting. More cooks should probe enlightening.

Any thoughts on the foil pan being the issue since it was a "shorter" cook?

I'm curious too.

Any thoughts on the foil pan being the issue since it was a "shorter" cook?

I'm curious too.

Maybe? Mostly it was just directly under the CSRs. Next time I'll go dirtier without the pan and see.

I wonder what people have done for time/temp to get their best smoke profile.

That flavor is fine for fast cooks IMO but I wouldn't want it for low/slow.

WSM > BGE > LSG offset. Interesting about adjusting. More cooks should probe enlightening.

What were your initial thoughts when going from your BGE to your LSG? My last stick burner was the M1 which was super easy to run an ultra clean fire on. I actually find the food from the MAK to have more smoke than the food that came from the M1 when running a super clean fire. Of course I could’ve dirtied the smoke up on the M1 and made it way stronger, but that’s not our preference. I guess I’m wondering how clean of a fire you run on your LSG?

Maybe? Mostly it was just directly under the CSRs. Next time I'll go dirtier without the pan and see.

I wonder what people have done for time/temp to get their best smoke profile.
I noticed that I get more smoke on the bottom grate vs the top.
I assume it's because the bottom grate is hotter, so it allows the
temp to be turned down compared to the top grate, therefore more smoke. I've only had a few cooks on mine but that is my experience.
Maybe Robb and the others can chime in on the grate temps being a factor.

Last edited:
What were your initial thoughts when going from your BGE to your LSG? My last stick burner was the M1 which was super easy to run an ultra clean fire on. I actually find the food from the MAK to have more smoke than the food that came from the M1 when running a super clean fire. Of course I could’ve dirtied the smoke up on the M1 and made it way stronger, but that’s not our preference. I guess I’m wondering how clean of a fire you run on your LSG?

From the BGE to LSG? It was like stale cigarette smoke to the smoke I'd expect from a good BBQ joint. The LSG for me swings between no smoke taste to what I've had in BBQ restaurants.

From the BGE to LSG? It was like stale cigarette smoke to the smoke I'd expect from a good BBQ joint. The LSG for me swings between no smoke taste to what I've had in BBQ restaurants.

My exact experience when going from my Kamado Joes to the M1 and then MAK. The M1 was exactly as you describe the LSG. Light to non-existent when running a super clean fire BUT the food was always outstanding. The MAK should get a bit smokier as the inside becomes seasoned and you figure out preferred pellet type/brand. Also, you may want to consider adding a tube. Most MAK owners do not do that that though. I do all of my low n slows on the upper grate, unless I need the real estate of the lower grates. Smoke rises and hangs out “upstairs” longer is my thought.

Back