THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crispy Bacon

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Crispy
I know everyone loves how these grills smoke. I hear a lot saying they like to sear over charcoal & I wish the MAK had open flame option like say the Memphis or even the Yoder. So how does the MAK sear steaks. Does it sear better on 600 or 450 or does it not do that well for searing a steak? Not trying to offend anyone but I don’t have an issue with the way a gas grill sears steaks. Any comparison to a gas grill? Does it taste better. Does the flame zone warp at high temps??

Thanks

Really depends on your definition of “sear”...

Will it sear like raging hot charcoal? No.

Will it sear like a 1500° broiler? No.

Will it sear like a gas grill? Yes.

It gets crazy hot, but it is semi-direct heat. Pros/cons. No flare ups and the protein retains more moisture are huge pros in my book. The searing power really comes from the intense radiant heat. I have said this before, but the MAK has become my all time favorite grill and smoker... and I have had my fair-share of cookers to put to the test. Another thing I LOVE about the MAK is that the ENTIRE grill surface can be used for grilling vs a small flame zone like you find on all other pellet grills that offer direct heat exposure. That’s huge for basic weeknight grilling :)

Personally, for pure searing power, I just sold my 26 kettle w/ a ton of accessories and bought an Otto Wilde. That does not mean the MAK cannot Grill, because it DEFINITELY can. The Otto will be used for super quick 30-60 second sears when needed.

Here’s a pic of a recent MAK (only) steak cook I did.
13137c53e24aeb42c42e090c29aaf611.jpg

Here’s a recent MAK (only) grilled chicken cook I did.
1cd89ae547d5afc2d980d6ae55f84a7b.jpg

Last edited:
Have the 1 Star with the Flame Zone here is an old thread I posted, have started to use the flat side of grill grates over the open flame zone with the MAK temp set at 450 (IR temp on the grate is around 650) to get a really good crust on the steaks when using Carne Crosta.

I know everyone loves how these grills smoke. I hear a lot saying they like to sear over charcoal & I wish the MAK had open flame option like say the Memphis or even the Yoder. So how does the MAK sear steaks. Does it sear better on 600 or 450 or does it not do that well for searing a steak? Not trying to offend anyone but I don’t have an issue with the way a gas grill sears steaks. Any comparison to a gas grill? Does it taste better. Does the flame zone warp at high temps??

Thanks

I second everything @rwalters said. I’m loving the Otto Wilde as well for the finishing sear. Regarding the MAK you won’t warp the flame zone at high temps but you can warp the aluminum searing grate. Ask me how I know. Lol.

I cooked this filet last night on the MAK 2 Star. I put it on when it was around 520 degrees and used the regular grates. It had a nice sear across the entire surface that's equivalent to my old gasser.

Attachments

• IMG_7053.jpg
    IMG_7053.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 173
I second everything @rwalters said. I’m loving the Otto Wilde as well for the finishing sear. Regarding the MAK you won’t warp the flame zone at high temps but you can warp the aluminum searing grate. Ask me how I know. Lol.

Do you have the newer MAK sear grates? I have had both. The new run front/back vs side/side. The new do not warp and I have tried... lol.

Thanks for all of the replies. This may be dumb but how is the taste off of your MAK seared?
Those steaks look pretty good to me.

Thanks for all of the replies. This may be dumb but how is the taste off of your MAK seared?

Not a dumb question at all. Anyone who is considering spending this much $$ on a cooker prior to exhausting their questions would be dumb... lol.

All grilled food on the MAK comes off with a very clean grilled flavor and is extremely moist, including seared food. I do prefer the results when using the MAK sear grates. Remember, you can always intensify the sear by tossing a cast iron skillet/pan onto the MAK and using a little clarified butter. In fact there are times that I will remove the Flame Zone plates for the low n slow portion of a reverse sear... and place my 17” Lodge cast iron skillet on the main grate with my protein placed directly above it on the upper grate. The cast iron skillet creates an indirect heat while also heating up for the reverse sear. When it’s time to sear, it’s just a matter of removing the steaks for 10-15 mins, jacking the temp and returning the steaks to the cast iron to finish off. Always more than 1 way to skin a cat... lol. I have never had a cooker that gets me more consistent compliments based on food results. I was a big time lump charcoal guy prior to pellets... I don’t even own a charcoal grill or smoker anymore. YMMV :)

Last edited:
http://https://makgrills.com/product/searing-grate/

@rwalters my searing grate is from 2018, it runs from left to right - maybe they sent me an older model?

@crispybacon the taste from a reverse seared steak is awesome on the MAK.

Yep, that version warps. The new do not. That said, the left to right version did me well when I had them even with the warping. It was purely aesthetics.

Different than on a gasser, gave the Weber gasser to my SIL after a couple of cooks on the MAK, don't miss it at all. I do still use the Kettle a lot for grilling and reverse sears, some things are better on the Kettle, some things are better on the MAK and I do enjoy cooking on the Kettle.

So, how hard is it to clean? I heard the new MAK is a little easier to clean than the older models but still difficult?? How is it? Thanks

So, how hard is it to clean? I heard the new MAK is a little easier to clean than the older models but still difficult?? How is it? Thanks

I’ll give you a more detailed answer when I get home... but before doing so, on a scale of 1-10, how picky are you about keeping your grills clean? Which is your biggest priority... the exterior or interior or both? I can share what I have found to work well, but I don’t want to share overkill if you aren’t super picky. Me? I like to keep the outside really clean and the inside tidy (not at all spotless).

I try to keep my stainless clean. When I see The edges turning brown I take it to shiny. Then I burn off & scrape off the inside & just rinse it out. I don’t really do more than that on the inside to keep the seasoning on. That’s just me. So usually once a month I take a good 1-1.5 hours to clean it really well.

I just bought the Otto Wilde myself. I posted a thread awhile back regarding my own beliefs regarding steaks seared on pellet grills vs my Kamado Joe going at near full bore. I'm anxious to try steaks seared on the Otto Wilde when it gets in.

I try to keep my stainless clean. When I see The edges turning brown I take it to shiny. Then I burn off & scrape off the inside & just rinse it out. I don’t really do more than that on the inside to keep the seasoning on. That’s just me. So usually once a month I take a good 1-1.5 hours to clean it really well.

My standards for grill cleanliness are pretty much identical to yours. As far as the exterior, it’s all about having the right cleaners (which I’d be happy to share should you buy a MAK) and cleaning the SS while the cooker is still warm to the touch. Cleaning while warm makes it sooooooo much easier. As far as the inside, when I am doing low n slow, unless a large cook I always cook on the full upper grate with foil underneath on the main grate to catch the drippings. If doing a large low n slow using multiple grates, I cover the Flame Zone pan with foil. Makes cleanup super simple. When grilling, I cook naked... lol. The heat that the MAK generates, carbonizes the drippings making them super easy to scrape from the Flame Zone pan into your large outside garbage can. The inner pieces of the MAK are really easy to take out and hold with one hand while you scrape. Takes a few mins and your back in business. As far as the fire pot, it’s removable... so no shop vac needed.

Hopefully that answers your question. If not, just let me know :)

I just bought the Otto Wilde myself. I posted a thread awhile back regarding my own beliefs regarding steaks seared on pellet grills vs my Kamado Joe going at near full bore. I'm anxious to try steaks seared on the Otto Wilde when it gets in.

You're going to love the Otto Wilde!

I wish I had your guy’s cash. About $3800 for the MAK & that Otto is another grand. I was having high hopes for that Weber to save some money but as of right now, it looks like that ship has sailed! Lol. I’m happy to take some Venmo donations! Lol. Seriously though. Thanks for the help!

I wish I had your guy’s cash. About $3800 for the MAK & that Otto is another grand. I was having high hopes for that Weber to save some money but as of right now, it looks like that ship has sailed! Lol. I’m happy to take some Venmo donations! Lol. Seriously though. Thanks for the help!

Cash? All of my cash is sitting in MAK’s bank account... lol. Seriously though, I consider cookers like the MAK to be more of an investment than a purchase. At least that’s the way my mind works :)

Last edited:
Back