Mail woman brought me an Oakridge surprise!(a little pron)

Lantern those ribs look awesome. I would like to know about your cooking, did you wrap and what cooking temp? I have been using Oakridge Dominator and really like the flavor. Not a fan of too hot.
Thanks and keep them coming.

Lantern those ribs look awesome. I would like to know about your cooking, did you wrap and what cooking temp? I have been using Oakridge Dominator and really like the flavor. Not a fan of too hot.
Thanks and keep them coming.

Actually this cook was without a wrap. My WSM 22 was running on Oakridge lump and it was a very clean burn so I let them rock the whole time. The temps were about 265-275 and they went for 4 hours before I looked at them for color. They were looking nice with no signs of charring so I let them go another hour and a half. At that point they were coming to tender and getting the right color. So, the next 45 minutes was spent basting with the thinned sauce. As we all know, opening the pit extends the cook so after the last baste I let it go just a bit longer to set and hit the tenderness I wanted. So, for these ST louis ribs it took about 6.5 hours total. If they were whole slabs or larger in general it would have taken MUCH longer since I was messing with them so much.

Let me know if that was enough info. I'm glad to share.

How would you compare their scorpian chili to their crucible ghost chili rub?

Also, killer looking ribs!

In my opinion, it has more flavor. When I say that I mean it has a sorta "chili" flavor as in what comes to mind when you think of a good bowl of red.

Think of the difference between the clean flavor of fresh cayeene pepper and chili de arbol maybe? There's an earthy flavor to the scorpion that I enjoy.

In my opinion, it has more flavor. When I say that I mean it has a sorta "chili" flavor as in what comes to mind when you think of a good bowl of red.

Think of the difference between the clean flavor of fresh cayeene pepper and chili de arbol maybe? There's an earthy flavor to the scorpion that I enjoy.

Thanks, Chris! My only comment would be just to clarify the "chili" flavor idea a little.... I do agree that the Scorpion chile rub is very "chile-forward", in that the chiles used are very prominent in the flavor profile (by design). Notice the difference in spelling... "chile" vs. "chili". I very carefully blended this Experimental Edition so it showcased the wonderful unique flavor of the Trinidad Scorpion chiles.

But, to further help describe the Scorpion rub's flavor profile, it does not contain any cumin or mexican oregano, which to me, together with the flavor of chiles, define a seasoning as a "chili" seasoning. What you are tasting are the actual chiles themselves and a few other key ingredients to help accentuate their flavor.

Hope this helps anyone still curious as to this rub's flavor profile.

:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks, Chris! My only comment would be just to clarify the "chili" flavor idea a little.... I do agree that the Scorpion chile rub is very "chile-forward", in that the chiles used are very prominent in the flavor profile (by design). Notice the difference in spelling... "chile" vs. "chili". I very carefully blended this Experimental Edition so it showcased the wonderful unique flavor of the Trinidad Scorpion chiles.

But, to further help describe the Scorpion rub's flavor profile, it does not contain any cumin or mexican oregano, which to me, together with the flavor of chiles, define a seasoning as a "chili" seasoning. What you are tasting are the actual chiles themselves and a few other key ingredients to help accentuate their flavor.

Hope this helps anyone still curious as to this rub's flavor profile.

:thumb: :thumb:

Yep, I knew I wasn't getting that point over in the way I wanted it to when I typed the post. I was in a hurry to get to a job, but didn't wanna leave a brethren hanging.

The reason I put the quotes on the word chili was to imply dang near exactly what you said. Thanks for the help. LOL!! I can get a bit lazy in my descriptions.

Back