THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ajstrider

is Blowin Smoke!
Little back story here... A couple weeks ago I purchased a Weber 26.75" OTG with the hopes of making a nice grill/smoker in one, I chose the big one because it should easily fit a brisket or two pork butts, which is my normal amount of food when I cook. I have plenty of other grills and smokers, I was just looking to experiment some more. But some modifications were in order because I can't leave anything alone. First I wanted a good way to indirect cook and smoke, so I took some aluminum expanded metal, trimmed it and bent it to make a little basket, then bolted an aluminum plate to it for a heat deflector. I left the top open for ease of adding more fuel or wood. I planned on putting a meatloaf pan with water on the grate above it while cooking. This grill is so big I ended up bolting my homemade smokenator ripoff basket to the charcoal grate because there is still plenty of room in the middle for a pile of charcoal during direct grilling. I cut a hole for a BBQGuru fitting and a probe fitting and poof, I have a nice setup. I also learned to use strip magnets to cover up the intake holes while using a Guru on the kettle, prevents the little leakage that makes controlling temperature hard.

Alright modifications done, I decided to try chicken quarters, which I have never done before. I brined overnight in salt water, rinsed, dried and added some Yardbird to them. Cooking at 275F until done by temperature.

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Wow what's something like that cost?
I like then mods, not sure I could bring myself to do that to a brand new kettle.
Can't wait it see how this and future cooks turn out!

Kettle is $299, aluminum expanded metal is $20, and the aluminum sheet metal was free, scrap at work.

Also the basket will work great for steaks, because I like to reverse sear mine and there is plenty room above it for the searing job.

Chicken came out juicy and delicious, though the skin wasn't as crispy as I would have liked, but that seems like the hard part of cooking chicken. I also learned my bird butchering skills are pathetic.

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

Chicken meat looks great. But by looking at the color of the skin, it appears you could of bumped up the cooking temps a bit. I like to do chicken in my kettle at around 350-375. It cooks up fast and the skin is crispy most of the time. If the skin doesn't look that crispy, you can drop the pieces over the direct heat for a minute or less to get some char on there.

Nice mods & first cook! Color and moisture looked perfect.

I'm really getting to like my 26.75 OTG - it has so much cooking real estate to work with you can experiment like you have done and still be able to cook on direct heat it you want to. I have a list of mods for mine including a basket something like yours and a pizza oven insert. I'm getting a CI main grate for my BD in a month so I'll wait to get that before building anything.

Back