Mahi mahi tacos for Cinco de Drinko

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I happened to be in the neighborhood of one of my favorite Mexican markets, so I picked up some cactus (nopales) and onions to grill. It’s been awhile since we did fish tacos so I thought some grilled mahi mahi and a mango salsa sounded good. Hit the fish with Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime and cooked them on Grill Grates.

It’d been a little while since I last used them, and even though I oiled both the grates and the fish, I did have some issues with it sticking…purely cosmetic, though. Served along side a margarita - Kirkland premix bottle from Costco - they’re surprisingly good, not overly heavy on “sweet and sour”. I’m a tequila snob and these are completely acceptable to me :becky:

Looks tasty. I have no idea what fresh grilled cactus tastes like. I've bought the canned or jar in the past to add to homemade salsa, but that's it.

With the grilled fish sticking, I always chicken out and use a grill basket. Easy to turn and seems not to stick to the basket as much as directly on the grates.

Heck, my marinated boneless thighs stuck to my grates this past weekend.

Looks tasty. I have no idea what fresh grilled cactus tastes like. I've bought the canned or jar in the past to add to homemade salsa, but that's it.

With the grilled fish sticking, I always chicken out and use a grill basket. Easy to turn and seems not to stick to the basket as much as directly on the grates.

Heck, my marinated boneless thighs stuck to my grates this past weekend.

They taste pretty much like the cans or jars of nopales, texture is a bit different as you'd expect with a fresh vegetable compared to a canned vegetable.

I've had great luck using Grill Grates with fish and have used them a lot for that in the past, they just haven't been used in a long time and probably would've benefited from some pre-seasoning. The slotted spatula makes it really easy to grill delicate fish compared to cooking it directly on traditional grill grates and spatula.

Those look excellent. Big fan of the nopales and onion as a treat on the side.

When I'm not about (or, really... when I'm working and she's home), CINCHOUSE is also a big fan of the same source of margaritas. A good squirt of fresh lime and some Tajin 'round the rim really kicks it up a notch.

Back