Machaca Con Huevo ~ A thirdeye Style Saturday Breakfast

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
5TPEl8z.jpg

Okay, machaca is typically shredded beef, but since I pressure can smoked pork butt, I use that for my meat, plus 1 strip of bacon. If you have some leftover pulled pork... that works good too. Here are the ingredients I used for today's breakfast:

eYwXNfj.jpg

Start by frying some diced bacon about half-done, add some of the pork fat from the top of the jar (this is similar to lard, but it's smoky), add chopped onion and jalapeno and a little olive oil as needed. Wait for the onions to become translucent before adding about a cup of the smoked pork. Of course it's fully cooked and super tender, so the machaca is almost done. Add salt, pepper and your favorite Mexican chile powder.... I use Guajillo chile powder, it's not a blend but the dried version of the mirasol pepper. Stir in the seasonings (I add some smoked broth from the jar) and the machaca is done. Don't go too heavy on the chile powder or you will hide the smoky pork flavor. This might take 20 minutes.

While the machaca is cooking I have some strips of corn tortilla ready to soften in a skillet... to be served migas style atop the eggs. And I whip some eggs, and shred some pepper jack cheese to add to them. When I'm happy with the machaca, the tortilla strips are in one skillet and I soft scramble the eggs in another. The assembly speaks for itself. Salsa is optional, and we had a glass of orange/mango juice. PS, this same meat mixture is killer in street tacos or burritos.

eIAiOXi.jpg

Last edited:
that is an extremely tasty looking meal! If that was served on a menu, it would be my first breakfast choice!

that looks fantastic! what else do you do with pressure canned smoked pork?

Just about anything you use leftover cooked meat for, but we use it a lot for pulled pork sandwiches, a topping for pizza, nachos and it works for other Mexican food as well. Hash is quick and easy, but I also can corned beef, so that's usually a better choice. I also can non-smoked pork, that is just par-grilled or par-baked for color before canning, and that is good for the meat in Oriental dishes. You can make about any kind of stew since there is broth in the jar or filling for a pot pie. Hot packed meats are basically browned only, but the processing turns pork and beef very tender. I raw pack chicken and mostly use it for chicken salad.

Back